Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
- Community [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Request for Proposals for Help Desk Services
March 19, 2008
This was an RFP to Â provide Help Desk Services for on-line learning programs for three years with three annual renewal options. This was an RF…
- Request for Proposal for a Fully Hosted, ASP Emergency and Student Notification System
August 18, 2009
This is the Colorado Community College System RFP for a Fully Hosted, ASP Emergency and Student Notification System. This is the Colorado Communi…
- RFP for Emergency Notification Services
July 17, 2007
This is an example of an RFP for Emergency Notification Services for the NJEDge.Net consortium. This is an example of an RFP for Emergency Notifi…
- University of Northern Colorado RFP for a Co-Managed Help Desk
May 17, 2007
This is an example of a RFP for Help Desk management services. The University of Northern Colorado (UNC) sought supplemental information technology support for both on-campus and distance learnin…
- Request for Proposals for Co-Managed Central Help Desk Services Colorado Community College System
December 3, 2007
This is an example of a RFP for Help Desk management services. This is an example of a RFP for Help Desk management services. …
- Request for Proposal -- Event Notification System
January 1, 2007
This posting DOES NOT constitute a solicitation to vendors that have products that may meet the requirements outlined herein. Vendors have been identified and the RFP sent to those vendors directly…
- University of Dayton Notebook Computer Resource Site
January 1, 2004
This site is intended to serve as an information resource for those considering instituting a student computer initiative. This site is intended to ser…