Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- 7 Things You Should Know About Data Visualization II
August 3, 2009
Data visualization is the use of tools to represent data in the form of charts, maps, tag clouds, animations, or any graphical means that make content easier to understand. Graphic representation…
- Enterprise WAN Capacity Planning
March 28, 2008
Capacity planning or capacity management isn't just for networks anymore. In fact, while enterprise wide area networks (WANs) were once only optimized for transaction processing, it is now …
- Straight Talk About Data Security
December 26, 2007
"If you accept payment cards on campus, you need to comply with a standard designed for safe handling of sensitive consumer information. Indiana University’s compliance plans offer some gu…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Data Visualization
October 11, 2007
Data visualization is the graphical representation of information. Information technology combines the principles of visualization with powerful applications and large data sets to create sophist…
- Service-Oriented Architectureâ€”What Is It, and How Do We Get One?
July 30, 2007
Good Ideas Service-Oriented Architecture—What Is It, and How Do We Get One? SOA can provide a secure, reliable, and agile architecture that benefits the entire institution By Jim Phe…
- Web Services Registry: The Foundation for SOA Governance
March 25, 2005
This 53-page research report from Burton Group analyzes the role of a Web Services Registry (WSR) in the Web Services Oriented Architecture (SOA) environment. In an SOA structure, governance pro…
- Middleware: Addressing the Top IT Issues on Campus
January 1, 2002
Campus middleware infrastructures are critical strategic resources for addressing cost, security, and access requirements of electronic applications. C…
- The Network is the Killer Application
January 1, 1995
Once again, utopia is just around the corner, where work, play, learning and commerce will be transformed by the latest technology. Haven't we heard this story before? …
- Intergrated Communications Evrionments: The Future of Campus Networks?
January 1, 2001
The author discusses issues that may pose problems before intergrating all communication applications and products can be realized. The author discuss…
- New World Catalysts: High-Level Shifts in the Networking Market
January 1, 2000
This article discusses how convergence, increased network intelligence, mobility, and home and consumer networks are changing the way we work, live, play, and learn. …