Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Competency-Based Education: What We Learned from Experience
July 1, 2015
Author: Mary W. Hendrix, Vice-President for Student Access and Success, Texas A&M University-Commerce Jolene Applegate started her degree in 1976 and was one of the first…
- 10 Lessons Learned from an Award-Winning Digital Badging Program
June 29, 2015
This week, I was invited to give a talk on digital badging at the Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education’s ( AACE ) World Conference on Educational Media and Technolo…
- Expectations for the Next Generation Digital Learning Environment
June 24, 2015
A Response to Bloggers' Comments In early May, EDUCAUSE published a white paper that summarized its research on the successor to the learning management system (LMS). We …
- Building a Culture of Innovation in Higher Education: Design & Practice for Leaders
April 16, 2015
This report and toolkit is meant for universities, colleges, community colleges, not-for-profits ,and organizations that serve the higher education landscape who want to reimagine their vision of…
- Digital Badging: the Rise of Skillbuilding Recognition at EDUCAUSE
June 15, 2015
If you haven’t already earned a digital badge—or don’t know someone who has—you might be wondering what they’re all about. Digital badges are a highly visible way to document incr…
- Postsecondary Trending Now: Skills that Employers Value
June 10, 2015
I’m an idealist. I truly believe that college offers more lifelong value than simply preparing students for a job. I value the personal and civic benefits of both K-12 and higher educatio…
- The Future is Now: NGLC Grantees Pioneering New Models, Tech in Higher Ed
June 9, 2015
When you think of invasive advising, predictive analytics and online assessment and feedback tools, you’re probably reminded of a recent article or blog post on one or more of these subje…
- A Breakthrough Game Design for Student Success
June 8, 2015
By: Victoria (Tori) Mondelli 2010 was a good year. Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) was founded as an education reform initiative, and I discovered the value of l…
- The LMS of the Future: Exploring the Next Generation Digital Learning Environment
June 3, 2015
If you could replace your current LMS with any application or platform you could imagine, what would it look like? Would it be much like what you have now, but with specific improvements …
- Vertus Charter School
March 26, 2015
The academic model of this charter high school for boys in Rochester, New York has four pillars: 1) strong relationships, 2) personalized year-round academics, 3) character education, and 4) care…