Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Student Success
September 9, 2014
This infographic shares 7 lessons learned on scaling technology-enabled innovations designed to improve college student success in developmental and introductory gateway courses. It draws upon fi…
- Next Gen Tools: EAA's "Buzz"
September 2, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) focuses on Buzz, a K-12 personalized learning platform used in Education Achievement Authority of Michigan's schools. …
- Investing in Personalized Learning Strategies to Improve College Student Outcomes
September 26, 2014
By Jason Palmer, Deputy Director Postsecondary Success Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation My passion for education has been a constant throughout my life, starting with my f…
- Next Gen Tools: Pre-Service Teacher Learning Collaborative
August 20, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) focuses on the pre-service teacher learning collaborative between Jacksonville State University and Piedmont City Schools t…
- Innovations Designed for Deeper Learning in Higher Education
August 21, 2014
Seven insitutions received $1.7 million from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) Building Blocks for College Completion grant program to scale innovations designed to promote deeper …
- Next Gen Tools: Degreein3 Math Modeling
August 8, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) describes how Columbus State University’s (CSU) new Degreein3 (DN3) Program integrates learning support module…
- Next Gen Tools: EAA Professional Development
August 26, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) focuses on the blended, mastery-based professional development course developed by the Education Achievement Authority of M…
- Society for the Teaching of Psychology and the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee: U-Pace
August 6, 2014
The Society for the Teaching of Psychology and the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee (UWM) partnered to disseminate U-Pace, a technology-enabled instructional model th…
- University of Central Florida and the American Association of State Colleges and Universities: Blended Learning Toolkit
August 6, 2014
The Blended Learning Toolkit supports the course redesign approach, and interest in its openly available clearinghouse of online tools, strategies, curricula, and other …
- Next Gen Tools: Blended Learning Classroom Design
July 23, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) focuses on the classroom design of Merit Prep--a large open space with smaller adjoining breakout rooms to accommodate up t…