Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- A "Plug-in" Approach to Information and Technology Services Strategy
June 1, 2011
The University Technology Council at Framingham State began developing new recommendations and proposed initiatives for updates to the University’s strategic plan in 2010. The resulting 5 …
- EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, Volume 46, Number 3, May/June 2011
May 31, 2011
EDUCAUSE Review Volume 46, Number 3 May/June 2011 Why IT Matters to Higher Education document.write(" "); …
- University of Victoria Strategic Plan and Governance Structure
January 25, 2011
This University of Victoria site includes information and access to the University Systems Strategic Plan and their systems governance structure. …
- Podcast: It Takes a Team, or Does It?
June 14, 2011
The new reality for higher education IT is one of constant change and increased complexity on a base of shrinking resources . Such a context, however, provides a perfect opportunity …
- CNI Podcast: Creating a Comprehensive Technology Model for a Converged Library, Art Museum, and University Press
May 5, 2011
After three years of construction, the Taylor Family Digital Library (TFDL) is nearing completion. The 265,000 sq. ft building at the heart of the University of Calgary central campus is the …
- Making IT Governance Work
October 5, 2010
This ECAR research bulletin details the strategic approach to IT governance currently in practice at Nottingham Trent University in the UK. With applicability to higher education institutions gl…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Analytics
April 7, 2010
Analytics tools provide statistical evaluation of rich data sources to discern patterns that can help individuals at companies, educational institutions, or governments make more informed decisio…
- "This Place is Awesome!": Program, Service, and Staff Planning for the Center for Science and Social Science Information
March 12, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
This session will address how new services, staffing models, and a renovated space were created to support today's interdisciplinary and technology-dependent scholarship. The Yale Science Libr…
- Formalizing Enterprise IT Project Management
March 9, 2010
This ECAR research bulletin discusses how formal enterprise IT project management can be applied to IT projects when the scope, cost, and external controls put them into a different league from …
- Building a Shared Database of Products Used at the ACI Schools of Illinois
March 19, 2013
A session at the Midwest Regional Conference
We all face similar issues and challenges at our schools, and they don't have to be technology-based. From admissions to catalogs, we all apply the same practices and procedures. Wouldn't…