Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Ithaka S+R US Library Survey 2013
July 10, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Ithaka S+R US Library Survey 2013
In fall 2013, Ithaka S+R surveyed academic library deans and directors across the US on their organizational vision and strategy, resource planning, and decision making. With a response rate of m…
- Who Moved My Office? The Evolving Role of the CISO
June 19, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Who Moved My Office? The Evolving Role of the CISO
In a fast-paced world of innovation, mobility, outsourcing, and social technology, today's chief information security officers must possess a blend of warrior-like technical skills combined …
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization
May 28, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization
With a rapidly changing environment, ever-increasing demands for resources, and the need for greater agility and transparency, IT organizations must have the right structures in place to ensure s…
- Fostering a Place for Invention and Creation: Two Approaches to Makerspaces on Campus
October 28, 2013
Learn how two institutions provide space for fabrication and collaboration with access to advanced tools such as 3D printers and laser cutters. Case Western Reserve University's thin…
- Researchers and the Petabyte Go Global: Preparing the Next Generation of Innovators
May 13, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Researchers and the Petabyte Go Global
New technologies and new cloud infrastructures are changing the landscape of research for all researchers, not just those working in computer science and informatics. Fundamental changes in scale…
- Interstate Passport Initiative: A New Transfer Framework Based on Learning Outcomes
May 5, 2014
A session at the ELI Webinar - Interstate Passport Initiative
Join Malcolm Brown and Veronica Diaz as they moderate this webinar with Pat Shea, Bob Turner, and Cathy Walker. The Interstate Passport Initiative, based at the Western Interstate Commission for …
- The Mouse That Roared: A Small Consortium Making Big Payoffs
April 29, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The Mouse That Roared
The NY Six Liberal Arts Consortium has launched a series of initiatives that have produced big payoffs. Join us as the presenters share the experiences of their library and IT departments in over…
- Instructor Engagement: Building Trust with Innovative Technology
April 21, 2014
A session at the ELI Webinar - Instructor Engagement: Building Trust with Innovative Technology
Join Malcolm Brown and Veronica Diaz as they moderate this webinar with Cody Connor and Athena Kennedy. Encouraging pedagogical innovation can be a challenge. This presentation will show tech too…
- The EDUCAUSE 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues: Be the Change You See
April 16, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The EDUCAUSE 2014 Top-Ten IT Issues
This year marks a turning point for higher education IT organizations, when the new ideas, solutions, and models that have been accumulating in higher education and technology will hit them-and t…
- Mobile: The Role of Mobile/Social Media for Students
April 30, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Connect: Baltimore
Your students are using more mobile and social networks than anyone imagined only a few short years ago. The quandary is trying to "reach them where they are" and still be effective wit…