Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Managing Your DNS and DHCP with Maintain
January 1, 2004
For years, Oregon State University (OSU) had managed Domain Name System (DNS) and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) tables with a set of command-line scripts developed by the campus netw…
- Virtual Applications Are For Real
January 1, 2006
Virtual applications present great challenges but even greater benefits. Fontys University in The Netherlands uses virtual applications to enhance student, teacher, and staff experience; dramatic…
- Know Where: Learning in a Complex, Adaptive Age
January 1, 2006
Our existing educational system was created to serve in an era when knowledge was fairly static. Today's complex environments and rapid knowledge growth require an educational model that is …
- Life Online: When Everyone Connects to Everyone and Everything Connects to Everything
December 8, 2005
Presentation at the December 2005 ECAR Symposium in Carefree, Arizona. Ubiquitous computing and communications technology are changing the social and educational worlds of students. The talk pars…
- Web Services Registry: The Foundation for SOA Governance
March 25, 2005
This 53-page research report from Burton Group analyzes the role of a Web Services Registry (WSR) in the Web Services Oriented Architecture (SOA) environment. In an SOA structure, governance pro…
- Providing Your Faculty Global Access to the Instruments of Scientific Discovery
November 16, 2004
Presentation at the November 2004 ECAR Symposium. In the past 20 years, we have seen the establishment of the global Internet and the Web. We are now seeing the emergence of universal grid infras…
- Standards, Services, and Excitement
January 1, 2004
This session explores how Cedarville University developed comprehensive customer service applications and middleware by building small pieces, providing intermediate deliverables, and creating smal…
- Middleware: Addressing the Top IT Issues on Campus
January 1, 2002
Campus middleware infrastructures are critical strategic resources for addressing cost, security, and access requirements of electronic applications. C…
- The Network is the Killer Application
January 1, 1995
Once again, utopia is just around the corner, where work, play, learning and commerce will be transformed by the latest technology. Haven't we heard this story before? …
- Rolling Out Statewide H.323 Services that Truly Serve K20
January 1, 2002
January 1, 2002 NMD0208 …