Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting)
July 25, 2008
This ECAR case study complements the 2008 ECAR study, Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, by Ronald Yanosky with Jack McCredie. ECAR undertook this case study of Queensla…
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education
July 21, 2008
Abstract This 2008 ECAR research study examines the extent of participation in IT governance by campus leaders and constituents; the use of IT governance mechanisms such as IT steering committ…
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education Roadmap
July 21, 2008
This ECAR roadmap synthesizes the important issues and recommended actions drawn from the 2008 ECAR research study, Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education , byRonald Yanosky w…
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education â€“ Key Findings
July 21, 2008
This document presents the key findings of the ECAR study, Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education .This 2008 ECAR research study examines the extent of participation in IT gove…
- Students: The Real Angel Investors
July 8, 2008
This ECAR research bulletin explores how Louisiana State University and other colleges and universities have overcome barriers inherent in new technology adoption by including students in relevan…
- Knowledge Sharing: Some Myths and Ideas, and a Little IT
April 11, 2008
Today in many circles the mention of knowledge management conjures up fears of complex IT systems (often equated with failure) or a new initiative (often associated with vague requirements). How …
- Green Planning on a Grand Scale
March 4, 2008
Los Angeles Community College District, in the midst of a construction boom, makes a push for renewable energy. Los Angeles Community College D…
- Measuring IT Staff Time at Georgia State University
February 19, 2008
This research bulletin explores the methodology used by the Georgia State University Information Systems and Technology division to manage large, cross-divisional IT projects and track all IT sta…
- Key Findings for the Fiscal Year 2006 Core Data Service
February 13, 2008
Research in Brief Key Findings for the Fiscal Year 2006 Core Data Service Â© 2008 Brian L. Hawkins and Julia A. Rudy. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons A…
- Leading the IT Workforce
December 6, 2007
Presentation at the Sixth Annual ECAR Symposium, December 5-7, 2007, in Boca Raton, Florida. What are the essential skills for an IT leader? How do rising IT leaders perceive the CIO role, and ar…