Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Knowledge Sharing: Some Myths and Ideas, and a Little IT
April 11, 2008
Today in many circles the mention of knowledge management conjures up fears of complex IT systems (often equated with failure) or a new initiative (often associated with vague requirements). How …
- Green Planning on a Grand Scale
March 4, 2008
Los Angeles Community College District, in the midst of a construction boom, makes a push for renewable energy. Los Angeles Community College D…
- Measuring IT Staff Time at Georgia State University
February 19, 2008
This research bulletin explores the methodology used by the Georgia State University Information Systems and Technology division to manage large, cross-divisional IT projects and track all IT sta…
- Key Findings for the Fiscal Year 2006 Core Data Service
February 13, 2008
Research in Brief Key Findings for the Fiscal Year 2006 Core Data Service Â© 2008 Brian L. Hawkins and Julia A. Rudy. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons A…
- Leading the IT Workforce
December 6, 2007
Presentation at the Sixth Annual ECAR Symposium, December 5-7, 2007, in Boca Raton, Florida. What are the essential skills for an IT leader? How do rising IT leaders perceive the CIO role, and ar…
- A Report on the EDUCAUSE Information Technology Governance Summit
November 14, 2007
In a continuation of the EDUCAUSE initiative to host forums for discussion of issues of importance to higher education, the Information Technology Governance (ITG) Summit was held September 10–…
- The Place of Information Technology in Planning for Innovation
October 19, 2007
Â© 2007 Michael A. McRobbie EDUCAUSE Review , vol. 42, no. 6 (November/December 2007): 12–13 The Place of Information Technology in Planning for Innovation Michael A. M c …
- Five Quick Tips for Integrated ID Management
July 9, 2007
The author provides lessons from Pfizer's ID management effort. The author provides lessons from Pfizer's ID management effort. …
- A Model of American Higher Education in the Middle East
July 30, 2007
Good Ideas A Model of American Higher Education in the Middle East The American University of Kuwait relies on its technology infrastructure to support and deliver the American model of hig…
- The Myth about Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
May 17, 2007
Ã‚Â© 2007 Cynthia Golden and Diana G. Oblinger EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 42, no. 3 (May/June 2007): 10–11 "We've Got Backups, So We're Ready for Any Disaster.&…