Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- The Place of Information Technology in Planning for Innovation
October 19, 2007
Â© 2007 Michael A. McRobbie EDUCAUSE Review , vol. 42, no. 6 (November/December 2007): 12–13 The Place of Information Technology in Planning for Innovation Michael A. M c …
- Five Quick Tips for Integrated ID Management
July 9, 2007
The author provides lessons from Pfizer's ID management effort. The author provides lessons from Pfizer's ID management effort. …
- A Model of American Higher Education in the Middle East
July 30, 2007
Good Ideas A Model of American Higher Education in the Middle East The American University of Kuwait relies on its technology infrastructure to support and deliver the American model of hig…
- The Myth about Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
May 17, 2007
Ã‚Â© 2007 Cynthia Golden and Diana G. Oblinger EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 42, no. 3 (May/June 2007): 10–11 "We've Got Backups, So We're Ready for Any Disaster.&…
- The Myth about Techies
January 1, 2007
Ã‚Â© 2007 Diana G. Oblinger and Brian L. Hawkins EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 42, no. 1 (January/February 2007): 8–9 Diana G. Oblinger is Vice President of EDUCAUSE, where she is …
- Higher Education TechQual
January 1, 2006
The Higher Education TechQual+ instrument is being developed by a group of higher education institutions to gather systematic feedback from its community of end users so as to provide objective dat…
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service: Fiscal Year 2005 Summary Report
January 1, 2006
EDUCAUSE Core Data Service Fiscal Year 2005 Summary Report summarizes much of the data collected through the 2005 EDUCAUSE core data survey about campus information technology (IT) en…
- IT Portfolio Management and Accountability in Higher Education
July 3, 2006
IT portfolio management at the University of Nebraska is being used to address accountability in the broadest sense: strategic decision-making, project analysis, and performance-based reporting. …
- Designing the University of the Future
January 1, 2006
These authors identify transforming trends in society that are affecting the mission of universities, analyze the impact of those trends on the institutional and spatial structure of universities, …
- Theory and Practice of Online Learning - Book Review
January 1, 2004
Recommended Reading Theory and Practice of Online Learning Terry Anderson and Faith Elloumi, Editors Athabasca University, 2004 (online book), 421 pp. ISBN 0-919737-59-5 Reviewed by…