Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- Information Technology and Campus Facility Planning
May 10, 2005
Based on principles relating to the impact of technology on building design and construction, this research bulletin describes how the University System of Georgia developed and implemented state…
- Breaking Out of the IT Silo: The Integration Maturity Model
March 15, 2005
This research bulletin extends and addresses the findings from the 2004 ECAR study, Information Technology Alignment in Higher Education. Specifically, the study found that agile and adaptive inf…
- Miami University Information Technology Tactical Plan
March 29, 2009
This is the Information Technology Tactical Plan for Miami University. This project was Miami University's resulted in the approval of Miami's first IT strategic plan. The project invol…
- Advice for an IT Advisory Committee
January 1, 2005
Professional Development Advice for IT Advisory Committees Observing a few key points will help you get the most from IT advisory committees at your institution By William H. Pritchard…
- Strategic Planning: Whatâ€™s So Strategic About It?
January 1, 2005
Viewpoint Strategic Planning: What’s So Strategic About It? The strategic aspect of planning implies a structured process, creative thinking, teamwork, and flexibility—plus one very imp…
- Value and Excitement: Creating a New Technology Plan
January 1, 2004
Oakland University initiated a new three-year technology plan in July 2004. Our theme of "Value and Excitement" emphasizes the need to align information technology initiatives with organi…
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2003 Summary Report
January 1, 2004
EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2003 Summary Report summarizes much of the data collected through the 2003 EDUCAUSE core data survey about campus information technology (IT) environments a…
- Using an IT Governance Structure to Achieve Alignment at the University of Cincinnati
May 10, 2004
This case study explores how the University of Cincinnati has developed a governance structure that allows the IT organization to align priorities and function as a cohesive element across the in…
- Current IT Issues: 2004
January 1, 2004
© 2004 Donald Z. Spicer and Peter B. DeBlois EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 39, no. 3 (May/June 2004): 12–26. Donald Z. Spicer is Chair of the 2004 EDUCAUSE Current Issues Committee and CIO f…
- Reflections on Information Technology Leadership in Higher Education
April 13, 2004
In this case study, five experienced chief information officers share their insights about information technology leadership in higher education. They discuss the qualities of a good IT leader, w…