Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (1193)
- Blogs (1184)
- Articles, Blogs, Briefs, Case Studies and Papers (6917)
- Books and Monographs (90)
- Government Documents, Laws, Letters or Testimonies (117)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (18)
- Policies, Guidelines, Plans, Procedures and Tools (472)
- Presentations and Seminars (9686)
- Surveys (74)
- Multimedia (84)
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Review (2634)
- Community (2486)
- Archived Content (907)
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) (719)
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) (301)
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office (238)
- EDUCAUSE Publications (225)
- Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) (163)
- Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) (112)
Filter by Presentations
3D Printing, also known as additive manufacturing and in industrial circles as rapid prototyping, is the process of building an object using a machine that puts down material layer by layer until the desired object is formed. Such printers use specifications generated by computer modeling applications or by 3D scans of existing objects. This process of creating 3D models is much faster than many traditional methods of creating prototypes or replicas of existing objects, facilitating an innovative culture of learning in which students can quickly move from imagination to the production of a solid model
Explore this resource site—a collection of EDUCAUSE and other resources related to 3D Printing.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Trends in 3D Printing. In this presentation is from CNI's December 2014 member meeting, James King of NIH and Kathlin Ray of the University of Nevada, Reno, describe 3D printing programs at their institution's libraries and explore what's different about 3D printing as a service in a library.
- Making It Real: 3D Printing as a Library Service, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. This article details findings from a University of Nevada, Reno, project that indicate that higher education's need for 3D printing services could be both substantial and broad-based across disciplines.
- High-Tech Maker Spaces: Helping Little Startups Make It Big, NPR, All Tech Considered, April 2014. Maker spaces have become hotbeds of technological innovation and entrepreneurship. Governments, universities and big corporations are noticing and beginning to invest in them.
- Making Way for Maker Culture, Alan Labb and Elizabeth Neely, EDUCAUSE Review, March 2014.
- Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition, The NMC Horizon Project, January 2014. This report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years.
- Video Competition: 2014 Horizon Report, February 2014. Each video focuses on one or two of the six 2014 technologies listed in this year's report, including 3D Printers
- ELI’s 7 Things You Should Know About 3D Printing, contributor: Tim Owens (University of Mary Washington), July 2012.
- 10 Ways 3D Printing Can Be Used In Education [Infographic], TeachThought, February 2013.
- Made in the USA – American companies behind the rise of 3D printers, 3DPrinterPrices.net, July 2013.
- 3D Printing: Making the Virtual Real, A Michael Berman, October 2007.
Institutions using 3D Printers
- Case Western Reserve University's think[box]
- University of Illinois, MakerLab
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- University of Southern California, Viterbi
Associations and Vendors
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for 3D Printing
- The Partnership Begins at Home
October 7, 2015
For the CIOs reading this: Who is responsible for information security in your organization? Hopefully you can respond with a name — there is plenty of evidence that hiring a chief information …
- Three Steps to Create a Campus Cloud Cybersecurity Culture
October 6, 2015
Celebrated every October, National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) was created as a collaborative effort between government and industry to ensure everyone has the resources they need to s…
- Overcoming Social Engineering through Cultural Change
October 5, 2015
More than a connected nation, we are now a connected world. Data in one corner of the planet can easily be accessed by someone halfway around the globe in a matter of seconds with just a few simp…
- On the Move with Two-Factor Authentication
October 1, 2015
You get the attention of your users when they have to go through a mandated password change cycle to get to IT resources. You get extra attention when they remind you that they were just fine for…
- ED Unveils New Initiative to increase Federal Financial Aid to Nontraditional Programs
October 20, 2015
Jen Ortega serves as a consultant to EDUCAUSE on federal policy and government relations. She has worked with EDUCAUSE since 2013 and assists with monitoring legislative and regulatory proposal…
E-Learning True Online learning environments—on campus …
- The Predictive Learning Analytics Revolution: Leveraging Learning Data for Student Success
October 6, 2015
Everyone from government agencies to mainstream press are looking for improvements in areas that typically fall under the umbrella of “student success.” Universities are seeing the potential …
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Learning Space Rating System
October 5, 2015
The Learning Space Rating System is a tool developed by leading community experts for rating formal learning spaces to determine how well their design affords and encourages active learning…
BYOD True Use of personally owned devices continues t…
- Technology Accessibility Findings
Technology Accessibility Findings True Technology Acces…