Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
"Blended Learning", also refered to as "Hybrid Learning" combines traditional face-to-face classrooom instruction with online learning. EDUCAUSE has a wide range of resources on this expansive topic in various formats. Including the new EDUCAUSE E-Book " Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies" which is a collection of chapters and case studies contributed by college and university presidents, provosts, faculty, and other stakeholders. Institutions are finding new ways of achieving higher education’s mission without being crippled by constraints or overpowered by greater expectations.
The following chapters from the book specifically address blended learning models.
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- The Blended Learning Toolkit: A DIY Resource for Blended Learning Instructors and Designers, ELI Web Seminar, January 2012. This seminar provided a brief overview of the Blended Learning Toolkit before guiding participants on a tour and a discussion of each set of faculty resources. It also includes a brief summary of lessons learned in conducting an open, online course based on the BlendKit Course materials will also be shared.
- Evaluating the Implementation of Blended Learning Models in Large Enrollment Courses, ELI Annaul Meeting, February 2011. This presentation expands on design, development, and implementation of blended learning models, with details on ways in which the face-to-face and online sections of the courses were integrated.
- “Blended Learning: A Report on the ELI Focus Session” ELI White Paper, November 2010. This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, themes, and concepts that emerged from those sessions. The paper also includes links to supporting focus session materials, recordings, and resources
- “7 Things You Should Know About the HyFlex Course Model”, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, November 2010. HyFlex is a course design model that presents the components of hybrid learning in a flexible course structure that gives students the option of attending sessions in the classroom, participating online, or doing both. Students can change their mode of attendance weekly or by topic, according to need or preference.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Blended Learning
- Two K-12 Grantees Recently Featured on Getting Smart blog
March 13, 2014
At first glance, Piedmont City Schools in rural Alabama and New York City’s Brooklyn Laboratory Charter School may not appear to have much in common. The former is a rural district working to b…
- Trending Now: Recent News in the Postsecondary World of Next Generation Learning
February 27, 2014
In January’s “Trending Now: Postsecondary” post, Kristen Vogt called attention to a Center for American Progress (CAP) report that pointed to competency-based credentials as a way to …
- Activate Instruction Helps Summit Public Schools Personalize Learning
February 6, 2014
NGLC has embarked upon a new publication series, Next Gen Tools . Today, we share with you the first brief in the series, Next Gen Tools: Activate Instruction . Summit Publi…
- Can the Current Model of Higher Education Survive MOOCs and Online Learning?
October 7, 2013
Not all U.S. colleges and universities will disappear as a result of new technologies, but clearly some will. If higher education institutions embrace the status quo, they will no longer be in…
- A Study of Mobile Learning Trends at the U.S. Naval Academy and the Naval Postgraduate School
January 28, 2013
Key Takeaways To plan for future mobile learning two military educational schools conducted a study of current mobile device ownership and use by their students. Survey re…
- Online Educational Delivery Models: A Descriptive View
November 1, 2012
Phil Hill is an independent consultant and blogs at e-Literate . Although there has been a long history of distance education, the creation of online education occurred just over a…
- Challenge and Change
September 5, 2012
George L. Mehaffy is Vice President for Academic Leadership and Change at the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU). Early one morning in April 1860, a rider car…
- Creating a Learning Flow: A Hybrid Course Model for High-Failure-Rate Math Classes
December 15, 2011
Key Takeaways Developed in response to the crisis in remedial and general-education math courses , this innovative model pairs an existing parent course with a one-unit suppleme…
- The Blended Learning Toolkit: Improving Student Performance and Retention
December 15, 2011
Key Takeaways Blended courses provide much of the flexibility and convenience of an online course while retaining the benefits of the face-to-face classroom experie…
- Enhancing Student Learning and Retention with Blended Learning Class Guides
December 15, 2010
Key Takeaways Experience has shown that well-designed hybrid courses enhance student learning and increase student retention, even in large introductory science classes. Blended learnin…