Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership [x]
- CIO [x]
- Organizational Structure (239)
- Leadership (135)
- Leadership Development (63)
- Institutional Management (42)
- IT Workforce Development (41)
- Planning (37)
- IT Effectiveness (24)
- Professional Development (22)
- IT Strategic Planning (18)
- Presidents and Senior Executives (17)
- IT Organization (16)
- Future of Higher Education (14)
- Change Management (13)
- Teaching and Learning (29)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (19)
- Financial Management (18)
- Information Systems and Services (18)
- Organizational Culture (14)
Career Development for New and Aspiring CIOs
EDUCAUSE supports those in the IT profession with information and skill development. To keep the higher education “CIO pipeline” strong, our community must ens ure that qualified individuals are attracted to senior IT roles, are prepared to assume more responsibility, and are supported in these positions. Below are career development resources for aspiring and new CIOs. To suggest additions, contact us.
- Learn how successful CIOs got their start and how they were able to advance.
- Prepare for the CIO role by developing your skills and knowledge.
- Focus on your performance and what you can do to succeed.
- Learn what to focus on the first 90 days, the first year, and the first five years.
Professional Development Activities for New and Aspiring CIOs
A Portfolio for Strengthening IT Leadership Skills. EDUCAUSE Vice President Julie Little and Leadership Director Norma Holland discuss the current EDUCAUSE professional development programs in an EDUCAUSE Review Leadership column (June 3, 2013).
- CIO Experience
- CIO Career Coaching
- Hawkins Leadership Roundtable
- Climbing the Leadership Ladder: An Insider's View of the CIO Search Process, Friday, October 18, 9:10–10:00 a.m.
CONNECT: Portland, Chicago, Baltimore—CIO and Executive IT Leader Roundtable
Resources for New and Aspiring CIOs
Preparation for Becoming a CIO
- In the June 2013 EDUCAUSE Review Online article and video The CIO: Defining a Path for the Future, Mark Askren, CIO for the University of Nebraska–Lincoln, discusses the perceived and actual role of CIOs.
- Aspiring and Residing IT Leaders: A Legacy for the Future, EDUCAUSE Review, January 2012. Keith W. "Mac" McIntosh, winner of the inaugural EDUCAUSE Rising Star Award, talks about becoming a leader and developing future leaders in the IT professional community. He outlines three steps that aspiring leaders can take to cultivate their leadership skills and three steps that residing leaders can take to leave a lasting legacy.
- Filling the IT Leadership Pipeline: A Panel Discussion, EDUCAUSE Review Online, January 23, 2012. Six CIOs and senior technology leaders discuss their backgrounds, the strengths and skills future CIOs will need to do the job, and the challenges of preparing the next generation of CIOs. They list the most critical competencies for current and future CIOs and debate whether these competencies are changing.
- The Importance of Mentors on the Journey to a First CIO Position. This EDUCAUSE 2012 session covers different mentoring styles that can be used during the different steps in the journey toward that first CIO position.
- The Higher Education CIO: Portrait of Today, Landscape of Tomorrow, 2011. This ECAR report examines the CIO role—past, present, and emergent.
- Spurring Others Toward Leadership in Our Profession. This EDUCAUSE 2011 session offers approaches, thoughts, and ideas to spur others toward leadership within higher education IT, focusing on two audiences with differing perspectives: those who aspire to be leaders, and those who are residing leaders.
- Does It Really Take One to Be One? Melissa Woo, an EDUCAUSE blogger, asks the questions she feels an aspiring CIO needs to ask oneself.
Interviewing for the Job
- CIO Open Space Session: The Insider's View on the Recruitment of a CIO. This EDUCAUSE 2012 session, presented by the managing partners of Next Generation Executive Search, offers insights and discusses preparation for sitting and rising CIOs considering new leadership opportunities.
- Land That Job! Preparing to Interview for Your First CIO Position. Preparing to interview for your first CIO position can be intimidating. In this EDUCAUSE 2012 session, current and former CIOs provided advice on preparing for interviews.
The First Year as a CIO
- The First 90 Days in a New CIO Position, HBR Blog, August 2013. Steve Gallagher blogs about his new CIO position at the Harvard Business School.
- Being CIO: 5 tips for surviving the first 90 days, O’Reilly Radar, November 2010. Jonathan Reichental discusses how CIOs can set the tone during their early days with a new organization.
- Four panelists talk about a CIO's first year in this session video from EDUCAUSE 2012 and this accompanying EDUCAUSE Review Online article, EDUCAUSE 2012 Panel: A CIO's First Year (June 3, 2013).
- CIO "Advice" Focus Groups: First Year of a CIO and CIO Search Committee Strategies. These notes (Word document) from a 2013 Southeast Regional Conference session include advice on getting the CIO job and how to navigate the first year in the role.
- Onboarding CIOs and other Executive Level IT Staff. This 2013 Midwest Regional Conference session includes a checklist for preparing your new CIO to lead on day 1.
- The CIO Minute: George Claffey Jr. In this July 2013 video, George Claffey Jr., CIO for Charter Oak State College, talks about 10 things new CIOs can do to be more effective.
- CIO Bookshelf, a list of resources gathered by the EDUCAUSE CIO list.
CIO Constituent Group. This EDUCAUSE constituent group is designed for discussion of issues and challenges that affect chief information officers in higher education: the role of the CIO, financing and funding strategies, planning and organizing for information resources (especially information technology) within the institution, human resource issues, policies for the networked information environment, and the future of higher education. This group meets at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference and uses the electronic discussion list to discuss issues throughout the year.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for CIO
- ECAR Releases Report on IT Leadership
October 3, 2011
ECAR has just released The Higher Education CIO: Portrait of Today, Landscape of Tomorrow, 2011 Report . The report examines the CIO role—past, present, and emergent. …
- Perspectives in Collaboration
April 7, 2011
Joanne Kossuth ( Joanne.Kossuth@olin.edu ) is Vice President for Operations and CIO at the Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering. She is Editor of the EDUCAUSE Review Viewpoints …
- Podcast Interview: A. Michael Berman on Innovation and the Economic Realities of Higher Education
July 22, 2011
A. Michael Berman is Chief Information Officer for California State University, Channel Islands. In this interview with Colin Currie , Berman talks about creating and maintaining in…
- The Shrinking CIO?
February 7, 2011
Gregory A. Jackson is Vice President, Policy and Analysis, for EDUCAUSE. Comments on this article can be posted to the web via the link at the bottom of this page. "We ne…
- Podcast: Kevin Morooney on Enterprise IT Challenges
June 24, 2011
In this conversation with Kevin Morooney , Vice Provost for IT and CIO of the Pennsylvania State University, we discuss what enterprise IT issues keep him up at night. Morooney also reflects a…
- EDUCAUSE Now - #40 - 1) Stephen Laster, CIO, Harvard Business School 2) Supporting Faculty for Online Teaching
June 9, 2011
This month on EDUCAUSE Now : Stephen Laster, CIO, Harvard Business School, on collaboration, outsourcing, and the future of higher ed IT, and Barbara Zirkin talks about distance learning …
- Strategic Partnerships
November 30, 2010
© 2010 Ronald K. Machtley and Arthur S. Gloster EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 45, no. 6 (November/December 2010) Ronald K. Machtley is President of Bryant University. Arthur S. Gloste…
- Podcast: CIO Panel on Major Enterprise Challenges Facing IT Leaders
May 31, 2011
This CIO panel from the EDUCAUSE 2011 Enterprise and IT Conference brings together five exceptional IT leaders from a diverse background of institutions to discuss the major challen…
- Between Idea and Reality
October 7, 2010
© 2010 C. David Naylor and Robert D. Cook. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/lice…
- Redesigned Core Data Service Open for Data Entry—Due June 17
April 20, 2011
The new Core Data Service (CDS) Dashboard, the online hub for survey module data entry, is now live and Phase 1: Data Collection has officially begun. As redesigned in 2010-11, CDS points t…