Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- 30363 [x]
- Copyright [x]
- Campus Policy and Law (6)
- Federal Policy and Law (6)
- Intellectual Property (6)
- Policy and Law (6)
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Policies (5)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (3)
- Fair Use (2)
- Teaching and Learning (2)
- Advanced Networking (1)
- Faculty Development (1)
- Faculty (1)
- Institutional Research (1)
- Instructional Technologies (1)
- Open Content (1)
- Openness (1)
- Outsourcing (1)
- Staffing (1)
- VOIP (1)
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- ELI2011 Podcast: How To Fix Copyright
March 7, 2011
Due to the changes wrought by digital technology and the Internet, ordinary people are becoming authors , publishers , and, less appealingly, potential infringers on a massive scale…
- Session: It Is About Time—Getting Our Values Around Copyright Right
November 24, 2009
This session, from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Annual Conference, features a keynote address by Lawrence Lessig , director of the Edward J. Safra Foundation Center for Ethics at Harvard Universit…
- Lawrence Lessig Interview
November 16, 2009
This podcast features our full thirty-five minute interview with Lawrence Lessig . He is director of the Edmond J. Safra Foundation Center for Ethics at Harvard University and a professor of l…
- EDUCAUSE Now - Show #11 - Science Commons, EDUPUNK, How to Get Faculty to Do What You Want!
January 15, 2009
Welcome to 2009 and a new year of EDUCAUSE Now! Join host Gerry Bayne and Colleen Luckett for a look at making research more streamlined with the open sharing of knowledge. Listen to a lively deb…
- CNI Podcast: The Science Commons Project - An Interview with John Wilbanks
January 15, 2009
This thirty minute podcast features an interview with John Wilbanks , Vice-President of the Science Commons Project . It was recorded at the CNI 2008 Fall Task Force Meeting. Science C…
- 2007 Policy Conference: Year In Review
June 5, 2007
The 2007 Policy Conference kicked off with a top-ten style list of Policy Issues currently facing higher education. This entertaining and insightful list was compiled and delivered by Tracy Mit…