Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Copyright [x]
- Fair Use [x]
- Federal Policy and Law (6)
- Intellectual Property (6)
- Policy and Law (6)
- 30363 (2)
- Campus Policy and Law (2)
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Policies (2)
- Copyright Infringement (1)
- Cybersecurity Policy (1)
- Cybersecurity (1)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (1)
- Leadership Development (1)
- Leadership (1)
- Online Privacy (1)
- Patents (1)
- Privacy (1)
- Security Management (1)
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- EDUCAUSE Now - #44 -1) Cybersecurity Awareness Month 2) How to Put Balance Back in Copyright
October 13, 2011
This month on EDUCAUSE Now : We celebrate Cybersecurity Awareness Month by talking with Ernest McDuffie, Lead for the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education. We also speak to the c…
- ELI Session: Media Literacy 2.x – Employing Fair Use Educationally in a Remix Era
February 16, 2010
Digital practices in education—everything from remix assignments to posting of material on Blackboard—provide new challenges to educational copyright policies and stretch far past existing ed…
- Session: It Is About Time—Getting Our Values Around Copyright Right
November 24, 2009
This session, from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Annual Conference, features a keynote address by Lawrence Lessig , director of the Edward J. Safra Foundation Center for Ethics at Harvard Universit…
- Lawrence Lessig Interview
November 16, 2009
This podcast features our full thirty-five minute interview with Lawrence Lessig . He is director of the Edmond J. Safra Foundation Center for Ethics at Harvard University and a professor of l…
- EDUCAUSE Now - #21 - 1) Jim Collins on What Not To Do 2) Lawrence Lessig on Fair Use for Educators
November 12, 2009
Take a break from raking those leaves and join hosts Gerry Bayne and Colleen Luckett for the November edition of EDUCAUSE Now! This month we talk with two of the keynote speakers from our 2009 An…
- An Interview with Geneva Henry
December 18, 2006
In this 15 minute recording, we'll hear from Rice University's Geneva Henry about a range of topics including open source, connexions, intellectual property and more. See also: …