Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- An Interview with ALA's Rick Weingarten
December 9, 2005
In this 32 minute recording, I join Rick Weingarten, Director of the ALA's Office of IT Policy, for a look inside the beltway. Join us as he shares a brief bit of background about the Ameri…
- An Interview with ARL's Duane Webster
January 6, 2006
In this recording, 33 minute recording, I sit down with Duane Webster , the Executive Director of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL). Among other things, we'll get his thoug…
- An Interview with Glenda Morgan
December 18, 2006
In this 17 minute recording, we'll hear from Cal State's Director of Academic Technology Research, Glenda Morgan . Listen in as she shares some thoughts about her research into fa…
- An Interview with MIT's MacKenzie Smith
December 16, 2005
In this podcast, I speak with MIT's McKenzie Smith about the Science Commons , governance of DSpace , The MIT Libraries' investigation of Semantic Web technology via their SI…
- An Interview with Steve Wheatley, VP of ACLS
January 6, 2006
In this 14 minute recording, I sit down with Steve Wheatley , a VP with the American Council of Learned Societies . Listen in as he shares thoughts on the political economy of higher educa…
- Bryan Alexander on Web 2.0
November 3, 2005
This 25 minute recording gathers some thoughts from Bryan Alexander about Web 2.0. Bryan is the Director for Emerging Technologies at National Institute for Technology and Liberal Educatio…
- CNI 2013 Podcast: Rights, Research, Results â€” The Copyright Review Management System
August 28, 2013
Melissa Levine is lead copyright officer and principal investigator at the University of Michigan. In this conversation she reviews the Institute of Museum and Library Services-funded Co…
- CNI Podcast: The Science Commons Project - An Interview with John Wilbanks
January 15, 2009
This thirty minute podcast features an interview with John Wilbanks , Vice-President of the Science Commons Project . It was recorded at the CNI 2008 Fall Task Force Meeting. Science C…
- Copyright Challenges Facing Higher Education
November 22, 2013
This podcast features session audio from the EDUAUSE 2013 Annual Conference. The speaker is Pam Samuelson, Faculty Director for the Berkeley Center for Law & Technology at the University of C…
- EDUCAUSE Live! Podcast: Update on Key U.S. Copyright Developments
March 27, 2008
In this EDUCAUSE Live! podcast, join host, Steve Worona , for the topic " Update on Key U.S. Copyright Developments ". Steve's guest is James G. Neal , Vice President f…