Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Copyright Infringement [x]
- Copyright [x]
- Federal Funding for IT [x]
- Federal Policy and Law (20)
- Intellectual Property (20)
- Policy and Law (20)
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) (19)
- P2P File Sharing (19)
- Online Piracy (7)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (6)
- Cost Analysis or Assessment (3)
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) (3)
- Financial Management (3)
- Legal Downloading (3)
- Higher Education Funding (2)
- Institutional Management (2)
- Campus Policies (1)
- Campus Policy and Law (1)
- Compliance (1)
- Students (1)
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Plan to Combat the Unauthorized Distribution of Copyrighted Material by Users of Georgetown University Networks
September 14, 2010
This document is developed as part of Georgetown University’s efforts to comply with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) and 34 CFR Sec. 668.14(b)(30). …
- Higher Education & Entertainment Industry Discuss Implementation of HEOA Peer-to-Peer Provisions, April 2012
April 19, 2012
On April 11, 2012, members of the higher education community and representatives from the entertainment industry met in Washington DC for a one-day bilateral forum jointly sponsored by EDUCAUSE …
- Enforcing Copyright on Campus Networks: Lessons Learned and Next Steps
October 13, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
Since July 1, campus networks have been subject to enforcement of the P2P provisions of the Higher Education Opportunity Act. Coincidentally, a variety of government offices have initiated separate…
- 7 Things You Should Know About the P2P Provisions of the HEOA
May 24, 2010
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) includes a number of provisions that require colleges and universities to take specific actions to limit the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted m…
- Dealing With the Higher Education Opportunity Act's New Copyright Protection Requirements
November 20, 2009
Memorandum from the office of Zick Rubin concerning how colleges and universities should deal with the Higher Education Opportunity Act's new copyright protection requirements. …
- Final HEOA Regulations Issued October 29, 2009
October 23, 2009
These are Final HEOA Regulations Issued on October 29, 2009. These are Final HEOA Regulations Issued on October 29, 2009. …
- Complying with P2P Mandates in the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008
November 5, 2009
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2009 Annual Conference
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) of 2008 requires all campuses to certify that they have plans to "effectively combat the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material, includin…
- New Rules Will Push Colleges to Rethink Tactics Against Student Pirates
February 13, 2009
Colleges are about to be told how to fight piracy. They have deployed various tactics over the years to deter illegal file sharing, usually of commercial music and movies, by their students. But …
- Illegal File Sharing 101
November 17, 2008
© 2008 Kent Wada. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ ). …
- The Campus Costs of P2P Compliance
October 20, 2008
This paper reports the results of a summer 2008 survey designed to address the campus costs of compliance with the new P2P filesharing mandates in reauthorized Higher Education Act (HEA) that was…