Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Appellate Court Reverses Ruling on E-Reserves at Georgia State University
October 23, 2014
On October 18, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit unanimously reversed a district court ruling in Cambridge University Press et al. v Carl V. Patton et al…
- The Direction of Fair Use for Education: New Law and New Possibilities
July 12, 2012
Copyright and fair use has long been a critical element of innovative technologies. On campus, we steadily create new works and use existing ones—and nearly all of them are automatically pr…
- Georgia State Prevails
August 14, 2012
On Friday, August 10, 2012, Judge Orinda Evans issued her order for declarative and injunctive relief in the Georgia State copyright infringement case. This order followed her May 11, 2012 op…
- Next Steps in the Georgia State Case
June 4, 2012
On May 31, 2012, the plaintiffs (i.e., Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, and Sage Publications) in the Georgia State University (GSU) electronic reserves case, filed a propo…
- What's at Stake in the HathiTrust Lawsuit?
October 28, 2011
On September 12, the Authors Guild, the Australian Society of Authors, the Union Des Écrivaines et des Écrivains Québécois (UNEQ), and eight individual authors filed suit against HathiTrust, …
- The Georgia State Copyright Case: Issues and Implications
September 8, 2011
The Georgia State University copyright infringement case has been closely watched in higher education over the last several years. This lawsuit, brought by several publishers against Georgia S…
- UCLA Streaming Video Case Dismissed
October 5, 2011
On Monday, October 3 rd , a federal judge in Los Angeles dismissed the copyright infringement lawsuit brought by AIME (Association for Information Media and Equipment, whose members includ…
- The Orphan Works Controversy Heats Up Again
September 14, 2011
On Monday, September 12 th , the Authors Guild filed a copyright infringement suit against the HathiTrust , a non-profit digital repository partnership between major research institu…
- Fair Use Challenges in Academic and Research Libraries
December 20, 2010
This report summarizes research into the current application of fair use to meet the missions of U.S. academic and research libraries. Sixty-five librarians were interviewed confidentially by tel…
- Hitting Pause on Class Videos
January 26, 2010
A trade group goes after UCLA for posting copyrighted videos on course Web sites -- and hints that other colleges might be next. A trade group go…