Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Copyright [x]
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) [x]
- Federal Policy and Law (115)
- Intellectual Property (115)
- Policy and Law (115)
- Copyright Infringement (49)
- P2P File Sharing (32)
- Fair Use (26)
- Libraries and Technology (24)
- Digital Library Services (17)
- Online Piracy (17)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (15)
- DRM (Digital Rights Management) (12)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (11)
- Federal Funding for IT (10)
- Campus Policy and Law (9)
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) (9)
- Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) (9)
- Teaching and Learning (9)
- E-Content (8)
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
January 1, 2007
(c)ollectanea! is blog portal addressing the cultural, political and legal context of copyright. (c)ollectanea! is blog portal addressing the cultural,…
- 2007 Policy Conference: Year In Review
June 5, 2007
The 2007 Policy Conference kicked off with a top-ten style list of Policy Issues currently facing higher education. This entertaining and insightful list was compiled and delivered by Tracy Mit…
- A Change to Google’s Search Algorithm: Another Copyright Issue
August 17, 2012
As of Monday, August 13, 2012, Google has made a change to its search algorithm downgrading websites that persistently breach copyright laws. This means that the company will now adjust search …
- A Friendly Reminder
November 7, 2007
"Could students possibly be making themselves vulnerable to lawsuits from the recording industry — without knowing it? The University of Michigan thinks they might. And just to be sure, it…
- Advice to ISP's: Sign up for RIAA 101 at a college near you
December 29, 2008
Update (Jan. 4, 2009): According to a report today in the Wall Street Journal, the RIAA is replacing MediaSentry (see references below) by a Danish company, DtecNet Software. Good news? Bad…
- Alphabet Soup: A P2P, DMCA, and HEOA FAQ
May 18, 2011
Colleges and universities, like all Internet service providers, may benefit from the safe harbor provided by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) , provided that they take certain steps…
- An EDUCAUSE Update on P2P
March 16, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2010
The content industry continues to battle peer-to-peer file sharing on campus and commercial networks, both with sticks (DMCA notices, three-strikes legislation) and with carrots (a growing number o…
- An Interview with ARL's Duane Webster
January 6, 2006
In this recording, 33 minute recording, I sit down with Duane Webster , the Executive Director of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL). Among other things, we'll get his thou…
- An interview with Carnegie Mellon's Denise Troll Covey
April 14, 2006
In this 28 minute recording, I sit down with Denise Troll Covey , Principal Librarian for Special Projects at Carnegie Mellon University. Tune-in as she shares some thoughts about her work c…
- An Interview with David Rosenthal
December 18, 2006
In this 22 minute recording, we'll hear from Stanford University's David Rosenthal . Listen in as he shares some thoughts on the evolution of LOCKSS, the viral properties of commer…