Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
January 1, 2007
(c)ollectanea! is blog portal addressing the cultural, political and legal context of copyright. (c)ollectanea! is blog portal addressing the cultural,…
- An Interview with ARL's Duane Webster
January 6, 2006
In this recording, 33 minute recording, I sit down with Duane Webster , the Executive Director of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL). Among other things, we'll get his thoug…
- Another Appeals Court Rejects Copyright Subpoenas
January 1, 2005
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) this week lost the same court battle for a second time, in a different court. Echoing a December 2003 decision by the U.S. court of appeals in W…
- Backers of Stronger Copyright Laws Form Lobby Group
January 1, 2007
"Some of the staunchest advocates for stricter copyright laws have formed a new alliance designed to pressure Congress into preserving stronger intellectual property rights." …
- Copyright and Digital Media in a Post-Napster World: 2005 Update
January 1, 2005
The objective of this White Paper, initially released in August 2003 and updated in January 2005, is to provide a foundation for evaluating key questions facing the different stakeholders in the co…
- Copyright and Fair Use: Trends and Resources for 21st-Century Scholars
January 12, 2012
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2012
With the increasing use of images, music, and other kinds of audio-visual resources as well as the delivery of course content through online course management systems like Blackboard, we are facing…
- Copyright and Other Intellectual Property Topics at EDUCAUSE 2012
September 20, 2012
As you plan your sessions for the EDUCAUSE 2012 Annual Conference (E12) in Denver, CO (November 6-9, 2012) and Online , I want to highlight sessions that focus on copyright and other inte…
- Copyright Challenges Facing Higher Education
October 18, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
There has never been a more challenging time for higher educational institutions in relation to copyright law and policy. Georgia State University's electronic course reserve policy has been c…
- Copyright Office Issues Its Priorities and Those of Interest to Higher Education
October 27, 2011
Register of Copyrights Maria A. Pallante recently made public her office’s priorities and special projects through October 2013. The document articulates 17 priorities in the areas of copy…
- Copyright, Civil Rights, and Middle Age
January 1, 2003
The author discusses the political issues that are attached to the current fight over digital copyright and file sharing technologies. The author discu…