Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- DMCA Multi-Stakeholder Process Focuses on Standardized Notice
May 21, 2014
Summary: The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) have chartered a multi-stakeholder process to pursue voluntary impr…
- The HathiTrust Case and Appeal: A Policy Brief
June 10, 2013
On October 10, 2012, Judge Harold Baer of the U.S. District Court in New York ruled in favor of the HathiTrust Digital Library (HDL) and its university partners in a copyright infringement suit b…
- Brief of Amici Curiae Higher Education Associations in Support of Appellees HathiTrust, et al., and Affirmance
June 4, 2013
This Amica Curiae brief, filed on June 4, 2013 by the American Council on Education (ACE) and with EDUCAUSE as a signer, supports HathiTrust and appellees, with the primary reason that "copy…
- A Case for Fair Use: The Georgia State Decision (5/15/12)
May 18, 2012
This policy brief summarizes the long-awaited opinion released May 11, 2012 in the Georgia State University e-reserves copyright infringement case, and provides analysis of what this means for h…
- Letter on the SOPA Managers Amendment (12/13/11)
December 13, 2011
Letter on behalf of EDUCAUSE, the Association of American Universities (AAU), the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU), and the American Council on Education (ACE) to Chairma…
- Dealing With the Higher Education Opportunity Act's New Copyright Protection Requirements
November 20, 2009
Memorandum from the office of Zick Rubin concerning how colleges and universities should deal with the Higher Education Opportunity Act's new copyright protection requirements. …
- JSTOR Amicus Brief
October 18, 2007
EDUCAUSE joined a broad coalition in filing an amicus, or friend of the court, brief on behalf of the National Geographic Society which seeks permission to reproduce a print collective work in el…