Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Blogs, Briefs, Case Studies and Papers [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Digital Books and Your Rights: A Checklist for Readers
February 24, 2010
After several years of false starts, the universe of digital books seems at last poised to expand dramatically. Readers should view this expansion with both excitement and wariness. Excitement be…
- Naughty Bit
July 6, 2007
Ã‚Â© 2007 Steve Worona. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3…
- Fighting to protect copyright 'orphans'
January 1, 2007
"An effort among Internet activists to halt the extension of copyright protections for orphan works--out-of-print books and media--was dealt a setback last week by a U.S. appeals court decisio…
- Strong Copyright + DRM + Weak Net Neutrality = Digital Dystopia?
January 1, 2006
Three critical issues - dramatic expansion of the scope, duration, and punitive nature of copyright laws; the ability of Digital Rights Management (DRM) systems to lock-down digital content in an u…
- Hollywood vs. Your PC: Round 2
January 1, 2006
"Legal options in digital entertainment are growing. But they come with restrictions that can hobble your ability to enjoy the content you've paid for--and even threaten your control over…
- British Library Calls for Digital Copyright Action
January 1, 2006
The British Library has called for a wide-scale revision of existing copyright law, which, it said, inadequately addresses digital content, putting too much control into the hands of content produc…
- The Digital Learning Challenge: Obstacles to Educational Uses of Copyrighted Material in the Digital Age
January 1, 2006
The study explores whether innovative educational uses of digital technology â€“ everything from DVDs in the classroom to digital music libraries to online resources such as Wikipedia -- are h…
- Copyright and Digital Media in a Post-Napster World: 2005 Update
January 1, 2005
The objective of this White Paper, initially released in August 2003 and updated in January 2005, is to provide a foundation for evaluating key questions facing the different stakeholders in the co…
- Digital Rights Management: Tools and Applications for Implementing DRM in a Digital Ecosystem
October 26, 2004
This research bulletin is the second of two devoted to digital rights management (DRM). It examines the components of a DRM ecosystem model for higher education and describes where policies need …
- Digital Rights Management: An Ecosystem Model and Scenarios for Higher Education
October 12, 2004
This research bulletin is the first of two bulletins devoted to digital rights management (DRM). It suggests a model for a DRM "ecosystem" in the higher education community and demonstr…