Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Policies and Procedures [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Policy and Law [x]
- Copyright [x]
- Intellectual Property (7)
- Campus Policy and Law (5)
- Copyright Infringement (3)
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Policies (3)
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) (3)
- Acceptable and Responsible Use Policies (2)
- Fair Use (1)
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) (1)
- Security Policies (1)
- Federal Policy and Law (7)
- 30363 (5)
- Online Piracy (2)
- P2P File Sharing (2)
- Domain Name Policies (1)
- Federal Funding for IT (1)
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act at Missouri University
April 13, 2011
DMCA at MU DMCA at MU April 13, 2011 …
- Information Technology Rights and Responsibilities: Cornell University's Policy on Sound Recording Piracy
October 6, 2011
Offering full-length sound recordings (e.g. MP3 files) for download without the authorization of the copyright owner is a violation of federal copyright law. This Cornell University policy on so…
- Letter to All Students Regarding Recording Industry Association of America "Settlement Letters" and "Preservation Notices"
January 1, 2007
This is the text of a letter sent to all Cornell University students in the wake of the RIAA sending campus Internet Service Providers (ISP) "settlement letters". The letter discusses the…
- Plan to Combat the Unauthorized Distribution of Copyrighted Material by Users of Georgetown University Networks
September 14, 2010
This document is developed as part of Georgetown University’s efforts to comply with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) and 34 CFR Sec. 668.14(b)(30). …
- Regents Guide to Understanding Copyright and Educational Fair Use
January 1, 2004
Policies on copyright and intellectual property. Policies on copyright and intellectual property. …
- Registration and Use of UCLA Domain Names
January 1, 2002
UCLA Policy on the Registration and Use of UCLA Domain Names. UCLA Policy on the Registration and Use of UCLA Domain Names. …
- Software Piracy
January 1, 2002
The Skidmore College Software Policy forbids the unauthorized duplication of copyrighted software. The Skidmore College Software Policy forbids the una…