Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Presentations and Seminars [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Finding the Public Domain: 19 Institutions Making an Impact
November 5, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Finding the Public Domain
Working together through the IMLS-grant funded Copyright Review Management System (CRMS), nineteen libraries collaborate daily in identifying public domain volumes held in the HathiTrust Digital Li…
- Copyright Challenges Facing Higher Education
October 18, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
There has never been a more challenging time for higher educational institutions in relation to copyright law and policy. Georgia State University's electronic course reserve policy has been c…
- Simplifying Copyright in Online Education: Understanding New Behaviors
October 16, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
We will explore lessons learned from a pilot collaboration between SUNY Empire's master's in learning and emerging technologies and SIPX (formerly Stanford Intellectual Property Exchange)…
- MOOCsâ€”Key Legal and Policy Issues for Colleges and Universities
July 25, 2013
The National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), ACE, and EDUCAUAUSE held a webinar on July 25th, 2013 on the key legal and policy issues regarding massive open online course…
- HathiTrust: The Collection and Its Uses
May 6, 2013
John Wilkin and Sigrid Anderson Cordell provide an overview of HathiTrust and will discuss some uses of the materials in the repository. HathiTrust is the world's largest research libr…
- Fair Use or Fair Game? How One College "Solved" Fair Use
March 12, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
Across the college, there were copyright problems and questions: Help desk staff were asked to upload entire works into the LMS. IT staff discovered full-length copyrighted movies on our video st…
- Course Rights in Cyberspace: Ownership Issues in Online Education
February 13, 2013
A session at the West/Southwest Regional Conference
The growing enthusiasm for and application of online digital media for delivering higher education have raised serious questions of ownership and conflicts over control of courses in cyberspace. Th…
- From Fair-Use Inaction to Fair Use in Action: Using Best Practices to Support Teaching and Research
January 17, 2013
A session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference
This workshop/panel will familiarize attendees with the fair-use doctrine in copyright law, the general movement toward best practices, and the Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Academic and…
- The Direction of Fair Use for Education: New Law and New Possibilities
July 12, 2012
Copyright and fair use has long been a critical element of innovative technologies. On campus, we steadily create new works and use existing ones—and nearly all of them are automatically pr…
- Fair Use in Higher Ed: Three Lawsuits against Seven Universities Test the Limits
March 13, 2012
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference 2012
As of this writing, three lawsuits are pending against seven universities regarding their use of technology in the delivery of course materials and digitizing books. The heart of each case is the s…