Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- A Case for Fair Use: The Georgia State Decision (5/15/12)
May 18, 2012
This policy brief summarizes the long-awaited opinion released May 11, 2012 in the Georgia State University e-reserves copyright infringement case, and provides analysis of what this means for h…
- An Online, Interactive Approach to Copyright and Intellectual Property Law Education
March 12, 2007
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2007
This presentation describes the development, use, and collaborative evaluation of the University of Minnesota Libraries' Fair Use Analysis tool. This interactive, online application is intende…
- Annual Report on Intellectual Property Enforcement
April 4, 2012
On Friday, March 31, 2012, the White House issued its Annual Report on Intellectual Property Enforcement . The 130-page document outlines the Administration’s achievements in and strategi…
- Campus Copyright Rights and Responsibilities: A Basic Guide to Policy Considerations
January 1, 2005
The American Association of Universities produced a new white paper designed to help colleges and universities navigate copyright issues. "Campus Copyright Rights and Responsibilities: A Basic…
- CNI Podcast: The Science Commons Project - An Interview with John Wilbanks
January 15, 2009
This thirty minute podcast features an interview with John Wilbanks , Vice-President of the Science Commons Project . It was recorded at the CNI 2008 Fall Task Force Meeting. Science C…
- Copyright Challenges Facing Higher Education
November 22, 2013
This podcast features session audio from the EDUAUSE 2013 Annual Conference. The speaker is Pam Samuelson, Faculty Director for the Berkeley Center for Law & Technology at the University of C…
- Copyright Challenges Facing Higher Education
October 18, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
There has never been a more challenging time for higher educational institutions in relation to copyright law and policy. Georgia State University's electronic course reserve policy has been c…
- Copyright Challenges in a MOOC Environment
July 29, 2013
The intersection of copyright and the scale and delivery of MOOCs highlights the enduring tensions between academic freedom, institutional autonomy, and copyright law in higher educ…
- Copyright Compliance on Campus
January 1, 2004
This session describes a collaborative endeavor at Washburn University involving library and teaching faculty, information technology services, media services, and bookstore personnel to educate st…
- Copyright Endurance and Change
January 1, 2000
Over the years, copyright law has achieved its purpose of balancing the rights of copyright owners with the interests of the public. Yet today's technological advances and legal fixes may be u…