Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- 7 Things You Should Know About Developments in Instructional Design
May 12, 2015
In recent years, instructional design has been undergoing significant changes resulting from developments in areas including pedagogy, learning science, and technology . Instructional …
- IT Service Delivery in Higher Education
May 11, 2015
Related Resources IT Service Catalog Resources The Higher Education IT Service Catalog: A Working Model for Comparison and Collaboration , ECAR Working Group publication, April…
- Technology Transcends Departments: From CIO to VP of Enrollment
May 26, 2015
Key Takeaways CIOs have foundational knowledge they can apply quickly to a new operational role, and some campuses have begun transitioning them to become leaders of enrollme…
- The Quest for the Digital Frontier
May 26, 2015
Key Takeaways Evolving technology enables us to move from digital transactions to digital relationships , shaking the foundations of all businesses and forcing them to preemptivel…
- Preparing the IT Organization for the Cloud
May 7, 2015
Cloud-based IT services are becoming a norm for higher education, providing researchers, faculty, students, and administrators alike with the tools that they need in order to do their work. But t…
- How to Be Agile With Business Analytics
May 4, 2015
As the demands of IT service delivery shift toward bimodal capabilities, analytics and business intelligence leaders must introduce increased agility into the business analytics delivery process,…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Personalized Learning
April 27, 2015
Personalized learning has the potential to considerably improve student outcomes. Developments in information technologies today allow systems to provide targeted resources and support to muc…
- The Next Generation Digital Learning Environment: A Report on Research
April 27, 2015
In partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, EDUCAUSE explored the gaps between current learning management tools and a digital learning environment that could meet the changi…
- Analytics in Higher Education, 2015
May 11, 2015
Related EDUCAUSE Resources View all EDUCAUSE Analytics Resources 2012 ECAR Study of Analytics in Higher Education 2015 EDUCAUSE Administrative IT Summit , "Analytics…
- 2015 ACUTA/NACUBO State of Resnet Report
April 20, 2015
The 2015 report is a comprehensive survey designed to measure the broad variation in practice and policy within higher education and lay the groundwork for long-term trend analysis and benchmarki…