Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Clearing Up Some Myths About MOOCs
June 11, 2013
Blogger Cathy Davidson decide to wade through myths about MOOCs by teaching one in Winter/Spring of 2014. Blogger Cathy Davidson decide to…
- Napster, Udacity, and the Academy
November 12, 2012
Clay Shirky provides a thoughtful discussion in this blog on MOOCs and its early stages of possible disruption of higher education. Clay Shirky p…
- The Ultimate eLearning Design and Development Checklist
April 9, 2012
Blogger Nicole Legault created a comprehensive checklist for those involved in the design and development of eLearning courses. Subject areas include; Instructional Design Assessments…
- The Evolving LMS Market, Part I and Part II
December 21, 2010
In this post,the author discusses what the data are telling us so far about the recent shifts in the market, describe how colleges and universities come to decide that they need to go to market f…
- Social Media guidelines
June 4, 2009
This blog from Florida International University provides some guidelines for how to communicate on behalf of FIU on social media sites. This blog…
- Toward a Product Evaluation Framework
March 7, 2010
This evaluation framework is offered not as a final model, but as a route by which people can think through and share some ideas around this goal. Conversation, disagreement, and dialogue about t…
- Learning about Lecture Capture Technology
February 21, 2010
This blogger is in the process of picking a lecture capture technology and is blogging about the experience and their findings. This blogger is i…
- Copyright Threats End UCLA Libraryâ€™s Online Video System
February 5, 2010
Michael Weinberg writes in a Public Knowledge blog, "Being able to watch videos on your own time is a great boon to students. There is no practical reason that a student has to be in a certa…
- The Meaning of Open
December 21, 2009
A blog entry from Google executive, Jonathan Rosenberg, Senior Vice President of Product Management on the meaning on "Open". Â A…
- Cyber-Insurance Advancement Underscores Data Breach Risk Recognition
January 15, 2009
While the market for cyber-insurance remains largely nascent, with most private sector organizations still unable to adequately safeguard their financial and operational well-being against a majo…