Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Presentations
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Brandeis University 2015 Disaster Recovery Tabletop Exercise Plan (ExPlan)
September 3, 2015
All organizations experience unexpected and unwanted disruptions to their day-to-day operations. Too often organizations view an IT emergency as something solely handled by their IT unit. However…
- IT Governance Process and Structure
April 3, 2015
These are IT Governance and IT Organizational Structure resources for the University of Minnesota, including a description of the IT governance process. …
- Higher Education Information Security Council Charter
January 30, 2014
The HEISC mission is to support higher education institutions as they improve information security governance, compliance, data protection, and privacy programs. HEISC accomplishes this work thro…
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model
October 10, 2013
Boston University Information Services & Technology utilizes a governance structure to guide technology planning, project prioritization, and service level management. This site includes a …
- University of Wisconsinâ€Milwaukee 2012-Ââ€13 Information Technology Strategic Plan
January 31, 2012
The University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee 2012-‐13 Information Technology Strategic Plan states its' goals for the year 2012-2012. T…
- Indiana University IT Strategic Plan
August 9, 2012
This Indiana University strategic planning web site was created to receive input and provided transparency to the university community regarding IT strategic directions. …
- Framingham State University Strategic Plan Recommendations, 2011
August 10, 2011
Framingham State University's Strategic Plan Recommendations and Proposed Initatives by the Framingham Technology Council. Framingham State …
- Policy Guidelines for the Development and Promotion of Open Access
April 9, 2012
This UNESCO publication seeks to serve the needs of Open Access (OA) policy development at the government, institutional and funding agency level. The overall objective of the Policy Guide…
- Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Academic and Research Libraries
February 1, 2012
This guide was published by the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) as a clear and easy-to-use statement of fair and reasonable approaches to fair use developed by and for librarians who sup…
- UNH Social Media Guidelines
January 19, 2012
These guidelines are designed to help University of New Hampshire employees who create or contribute to University-related electronic social media to do so in a respectful, professional, relevant…