Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (20)
- Blogs (42)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (149)
- Blogs and Wikis (9)
- Books and Monographs (2)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (8)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (5)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (3)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (54)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (2)
- Web Sites (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- EDUCAUSE Comments: Making Federally Funded Educational Resources OER
August 4, 2015
On August 4, 2015, a group of 90 higher education and related organizations, including EDUCAUSE, released a letter asking the Obama Administration to establish a new policy on education, training…
- EDUCAUSE Supports Call to Make Federally Funded Ed. Materials OER
August 4, 2015
(August 4, 2015) A group of 90 higher education and related organizations, including EDUCAUSE, released a letter today calling on the Obama Administration to establish a new government-wide p…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Copyright in Online Education: Perspectives and Models
July 14, 2015
Concerns about copyright are an ongoing issue for instructors and librarians at colleges and universities. The resources in this issue explore the changing landscape of copyright in academic se…
Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA) True The Prev…
Copyright True In an age of connected learning, navigatin…
- DMCA Notice and Takedown Multi-stakeholder Forum Continues its Efforts
February 2, 2015
On December 18, the Department of Commerce’s Internet Policy Task Force , composed of the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) and the US Patent and Trademark Of…
- Appellate Court Reverses Ruling on E-Reserves at Georgia State University
October 23, 2014
On October 18, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit unanimously reversed a district court ruling in Cambridge University Press et al. v Carl V. Patton et al…
- Circuit Court Issues Decision in HathiTrust Digital Library Case
June 26, 2014
On June 10, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit determined in Authors Guild v. HathiTrust that the HathiTrust Digital Library constitutes a “fair use” of copyrights w…
- DMCA Multi-Stakeholder Process Focuses on Standardized Notice
May 21, 2014
Summary: The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) have chartered a multi-stakeholder process to pursue voluntary impr…
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy
December 6, 2013
This article represents a call for action to address the high-level benefits of adopting a university-wide policy regarding research data management. An institution should identify all the sta…