Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Andrew Vernon
Help Desk Manager
University of Saint Joseph
West Hartford, Connecticut
- Bruce D. Reeves
Manager of Academic Support
University of Minnesota-Duluth
- Celine M. Greene
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Dan Reis
Elon, North Carolina
- Dwayne K. Buttler
Endowed Chair for Scholarly Communication and Professor, University Libraries
University of Louisville
- Eleta Exline
Scholarly Communication Librarian
University of New Hampshire
Durham, New Hampshire
- Ethan Crawford
Digital Instruction Specialist
University of Denver
- Fred Zinn
Associate Director, Academic Computing
University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Gail Persily
Director, Educational Technology Initiatives
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, California
- Jeannie Colson
Distance Education Librarian
Filter by type
Filter by Individual type
Filter by States/Provinces
Filter by Carnegie Classification
- DR EXT - Doctoral/Research Universities-Extensive (10)
- MA I - Master's Colleges and Universities I (5)
- AA - Associate's Colleges (2)
- DR INT - Doctoral/Research Universities-Intensive (2)
- ART - Schools of Art, Music, and Design (1)
- BA LA - Baccalaureate Colleges-Liberal Arts (1)
- MED - Medical Schools and Medical Centers (1)
Filter by Functional Role
- Librarian (6)
- Frontline technologist/technology professional (programmer, analyst, help desk tech, network admin, etc.) (5)
- IT director/assistant director (director user services/instructional technology/network services, etc.) (3)
- IT manager (3)
- Other (3)
- Chief information officer (2)
- Faculty (2)
- IT supervisor (1)