Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (20)
- Blogs (39)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (148)
- Blogs and Wikis (9)
- Books and Monographs (2)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (8)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (4)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (3)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (53)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (2)
- Web Sites (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Annual Copyright Licenseâ€”A New Tool for Permissions
October 2, 2007
Colleges and universities routinely struggle to address their copyright licensing needs campus-wide. How do faculty, library, bookstore staff, and others on campus effectively assess and secure t…
- Another Appeals Court Rejects Copyright Subpoenas
January 1, 2005
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) this week lost the same court battle for a second time, in a different court. Echoing a December 2003 decision by the U.S. court of appeals in W…
- ASPP's Best Practices for Locating Copyright Owners Of Photographic and Visual Art
July 29, 2008
The American Society of Picture Professionals (ASPP) recommendations to tracking down copyright ownership for works primarily of US authors. The …
- Attacking from All Sides: Strategies to Educate Students and Faculty on Copyright and Plagiarism Issues
January 1, 2003
Copyright and plagiarism are hot topics on college campuses. At Wake Forest University, educating faculty, staff, and students has evolved through a transferable process of collaborative problem so…
- Authorama: Testing If Google Can Restrict Public Domain Books It Offers For Download
January 1, 2007
"Freeing Google Books from Philipp Lenssen at Google Blogoscoped covers him trying an interesting experiment. Can Google dictate that public domain books that it has scanned and distributed on…
- Authors Guild Sues Google Over Library Project
January 1, 2005
The latest challenge to Google's Print Library Project has come in the form of a lawsuit from the Authors Guild. Since Google announced its initiative to scan millions of books in several acad…
- Backers of Stronger Copyright Laws Form Lobby Group
January 1, 2007
"Some of the staunchest advocates for stricter copyright laws have formed a new alliance designed to pressure Congress into preserving stronger intellectual property rights." …
- Background Discussion of Copyright Law and Potential Liability for Students Engaged in P2P File Sharing on University Networks
January 1, 2006
This paper, by the Joint Committee of the Higher Education and Entertainment Communities, concerns the liability issues surrounding illegal peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing at colleges and univers…
- Balancing Copyright Concerns: The TEACH Act of 2001
January 1, 2001
The author discusses the new Technology, Education, and Copyright Harmonization(TEACH)Act of 2001 and how it relates to the copyright act of 1976. The TEACH Act will amend the 1976 Actto meet the …
- Ball State University's Copyright for Students
August 5, 2009
This web site includes videos on student copyrights and Plagiarism. This web site includes videos on student copyrights and Plagiarism. …