Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (20)
- Blogs (41)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (149)
- Blogs and Wikis (9)
- Books and Monographs (2)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (8)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (4)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (3)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (54)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (2)
- Web Sites (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Balancing Copyright Concerns: The TEACH Act of 2001
January 1, 2001
The author discusses the new Technology, Education, and Copyright Harmonization(TEACH)Act of 2001 and how it relates to the copyright act of 1976. The TEACH Act will amend the 1976 Actto meet the …
- Ball State University's Copyright for Students
August 5, 2009
This web site includes videos on student copyrights and Plagiarism. This web site includes videos on student copyrights and Plagiarism. …
- Beyond the Big Â© Copyright Becomes "no right to copy"
January 1, 2005
"If William Shakespeare were working today on Broadway or in London's West End, he would be spending a lot of time with lawyers. The Bard adapted Romeo and Juliet from Arthur Brooke'…
- Blackboard Use Raises Copyright Concerns
January 1, 2005
"Since the Blackboard course management system was first introduced at Swarthmore in 2001 as part of a Mellon Foundation-funded pilot program, many professors have been using the system to mak…
- Bloggers Beware: Debunking Eight Copyright Myths of the Online World
January 1, 2004
"A handful of myths have spawned practices, particularly among bloggers and Website owners, that turn copyright law on its head. These myths are rooted in the assumption that everything is up …
- Brief of Amici Curiae Higher Education Associations in Support of Appellees HathiTrust, et al., and Affirmance
June 4, 2013
This Amica Curiae brief, filed on June 4, 2013 by the American Council on Education (ACE) and with EDUCAUSE as a signer, supports HathiTrust and appellees, with the primary reason that "copy…
- British Library Calls for Digital Copyright Action
January 1, 2006
The British Library has called for a wide-scale revision of existing copyright law, which, it said, inadequately addresses digital content, putting too much control into the hands of content produc…
- Bryan Alexander on Web 2.0
November 3, 2005
This 25 minute recording gathers some thoughts from Bryan Alexander about Web 2.0. Bryan is the Director for Emerging Technologies at National Institute for Technology and Liberal Educatio…
- Building a Digital Collection from the Ground Up
February 26, 2009
A session at the EDUCAUSE Southwest Regional Conference 2009
Creating digital collections is an exciting way to reach beyond traditional boundaries and bring information to people no matter where they are. Any person, group, or institution can begin digitiza…
- Campus Copyright Rights and Responsibilities: A Basic Guide to Policy Considerations
January 1, 2005
The American Association of Universities produced a new white paper designed to help colleges and universities navigate copyright issues. "Campus Copyright Rights and Responsibilities: A Basic…