Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (20)
- Blogs (42)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (149)
- Blogs and Wikis (9)
- Books and Monographs (2)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (8)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (5)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (3)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (54)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (2)
- Web Sites (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Copyright Challenges Facing Higher Education
October 18, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
There has never been a more challenging time for higher educational institutions in relation to copyright law and policy. Georgia State University's electronic course reserve policy has been c…
- What's at Stake in the HathiTrust Lawsuit?
October 28, 2011
On September 12, the Authors Guild, the Australian Society of Authors, the Union Des Écrivaines et des Écrivains Québécois (UNEQ), and eight individual authors filed suit against HathiTrust, …
- Simplifying Copyright in Online Education: Understanding New Behaviors
October 16, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
We will explore lessons learned from a pilot collaboration between SUNY Empire's master's in learning and emerging technologies and SIPX (formerly Stanford Intellectual Property Exchange)…
- The Public Domain Shrinks as the Supreme Court Decides
January 27, 2012
Last week, January 18, 2012, the U.S. Supreme Court decided a copyright case that has broad implications for educators who use or perform musical works. In Golan, et al., v. Holder t…
- New Code of Best Practices in Fair Use Released
January 26, 2012
Today, January 26, 2012, the Center for Social Media at American University, the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), and the Washington College of Law at American University rel…
- Copyright Protection for Pre-1972 Sound Recordings
December 30, 2011
The U.S. Copyright Office has issued its report on Federal Copyright Protection for Pre-1972 Sound Recordings. The report, prepared after receiving written and oral input from stakeholders, reco…
- The Georgia State Copyright Case: Issues and Implications
September 8, 2011
The Georgia State University copyright infringement case has been closely watched in higher education over the last several years. This lawsuit, brought by several publishers against Georgia S…
- Myths About Fair Use
August 2, 2011
"Academics potentially enjoy some of the greatest benefits of U.S. copyright law’s doctrine of fair use — which lets them use copyrighted material without permission or payment, under s…
- What You Don't Know About Copyright, but Should
May 29, 2011
A lawyer and a librarian, Ms. Sims is copyright-program librarian at the University of Minnesota Libraries. She's there to help people on campus and beyond—both users and owners of protec…
- Copyright Office Issues Its Priorities and Those of Interest to Higher Education
October 27, 2011
Register of Copyrights Maria A. Pallante recently made public her office’s priorities and special projects through October 2013. The document articulates 17 priorities in the areas of copy…