Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (20)
- Blogs (41)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (148)
- Blogs and Wikis (9)
- Books and Monographs (2)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (8)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (4)
- Letters (1)
- Plans and Guidelines (3)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (54)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (2)
- Web Sites (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- UCLA Streaming Video Case Dismissed
October 5, 2011
On Monday, October 3 rd , a federal judge in Los Angeles dismissed the copyright infringement lawsuit brought by AIME (Association for Information Media and Equipment, whose members includ…
- Does Higher Education Need a New Ethical Framework for the Internet?
March 22, 2011
This ECAR research bulletin is designed to help decision makers in higher education assess the applicability of four significant historical codes of ethics as they evaluate their current polic…
- The Orphan Works Controversy Heats Up Again
September 14, 2011
On Monday, September 12 th , the Authors Guild filed a copyright infringement suit against the HathiTrust , a non-profit digital repository partnership between major research institu…
- The Future of Fair Use
February 25, 2011
In this EDUCAUSE Live! we will discuss ethics and strategies for overcoming institutional roadblocks related to publishing and teaching with copyrighted media. As fair use protections and potenti…
- Tune In September 8 -- The Georgia State Copyright Case: Issues and Implications
September 1, 2011
In this free hour-long session, “ The Georgia State Copyright Case: Issues and Implications ,” Marc Hoit and Kevin Smith will provide an overview of this case, and Siva Vaidhyanathan will…
- New ELI 7 Things... Explores Personalized Digital Magazines
July 18, 2011
Applications like Flipboard, Zite, RSS5000, and Taptu aggregate content from personal social media networks and other sources, presenting the information in a snappy magazine-style fo…
- Fair Use Challenges in Academic and Research Libraries
December 20, 2010
This report summarizes research into the current application of fair use to meet the missions of U.S. academic and research libraries. Sixty-five librarians were interviewed confidentially by tel…
- Fair Use School: Response to YouTubeâ€™s Copyright School
July 15, 2011
Public Knowledge recently announced the winner of its “Copyright School” video challenge. The goal of the contest was to produce a balanced educational video in response to YouTube’s “…
- Technical Experts Discuss Dangers of 'Collateral Damage' from Protect IP Act (PIPA)
July 15, 2011
A press briefing on the Protect IP Act (PIPA) was held yesterday in the EDUCAUSE Washington office. A number of articles appeared in the press based on this briefing by Internet engineers.…
- Copyright Infringement and Privacy: U.S. and French Approaches
July 15, 2011
The U.S. and France are currently taking different approaches to curbing online copyright infringement – the latest U.S. attempt involves an agreement among various private industry companies,…