Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Copyright [x]
- Federal Policy and Law (298)
- Intellectual Property (298)
- Policy and Law (298)
- Copyright Infringement (179)
- P2P File Sharing (105)
- Online Piracy (84)
- Libraries and Technology (63)
- Fair Use (61)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (49)
- Teaching and Learning (49)
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) (48)
- Digital Library Services (30)
- E-Content (27)
- DRM (Digital Rights Management) (23)
- Openness (20)
- Campus Policy and Law (19)
- Instructional Technologies (19)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (19)
- Open Access (17)
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
- Oregon Challenges RIAA's Tactics in Music Piracy Claim
December 14, 2007
The Oregon state attorney general is resisting the music labels' demand for consumer identities, including 17 students at the University of Oregon. …
- Educational Fair Use Today
December 14, 2007
Three recent appellate decisions concerning fair use should give educators and librarians greater confidence and guidance for asserting this important privilege. In all three decisions, the court…
- Letter to the Editor: Respect for copyright comes from education
December 10, 2007
EDUCAUSE Vice President, Mark Luker, responds to Dan Glickman of the MPAA and his piece “Compiling a Sensible Syllabus for Piracy U,”. EDUCAU…
- Colleges serious about dealing with copyright, P2P issues
December 5, 2007
"If you were responsible for a college's network and were faced with infringement notices from the recording and motion picture industries, how would you handle them? That's the qu…
- Ending the Intellectual Property Frenzy
November 28, 2007
New president of Rochester Institute of Technology proposes alternate way for academe to support business and the economy — and it involves admitting that your institution won’t have a big wi…
- The Cost of Copyright Confusion for Media Literacy
September 26, 2007
The fundamental goals of media literacy education -- to cultivate critical thinking about media and its role in culture and society and to strengthen creative communication skills -- are compromi…
- When It’s OK to Copy
November 16, 2007
"There are few circumstances in which it’s legal to copy a DVD and screen it in its entirety to an audience without paying royalties. One of them is in the classroom." …
- The Society for Cinema and Media Studies’ Statement of Best Practices for Fair Use in Teaching for Film and Media Educators
November 16, 2007
The Society for Cinema and Media Studies ("SCMS") has created this Statement of Best Practices for its membership to clarify some of the issues concerning the permissible use of media …
- Swiftboating Higher Education on P2P
November 15, 2007
"The latest salvo in the entertainment industry’s campaign against illegal downloading of movies and music — aided and abetted by Congress — is wrong, and students should help fight it…
- Ma Bell, The Web's New Gatekeeper
November 12, 2007
"About a month ago, Google caused barely a ripple when it unveiled technology to filter out copyright violations on its YouTube video Web site. After all, YouTube had been under constant fir…