Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Cyberinfrastructure [x]
- Federal Policy and Law [x]
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (25)
- Policy and Law (25)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (11)
- Intellectual Property (11)
- Cybersecurity (9)
- Security Management (6)
- Cybersecurity Policy (5)
- Patents (5)
- Advanced Networking (4)
- Federal Funding for IT (4)
- High-Performance Computing (HPC) (4)
- Information Systems and Services (4)
- Network Security and Applications (4)
- Openness (4)
- Data Security (3)
- Libraries and Technology (3)
- Open Access (3)
- Privacy (3)
Web Seminars and Podcasts:
- November 5, 2009: Cyberinfrastructure in a Carbon-Constrained World. EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- June 8 2009: Cyberinfrastructure opportunities - perspectives on the NSF ARI-R² and MRI. The National Science Foundation (NSF) recently released two new grant solicitations that have implications for the development of cyberinfrastructure at institutions of higher education throughout the US - the Academic Research Infrastructure Program: Recovery and Reinvestment (ARI-R²) solicitation and MRI (Major Research Instrumentation). The Coalition for Academic Scientific Computation (CASC) and EDUCAUSE jointly sponsored a Web discussion on these NSF CI funding opportunities and the return on cyberinfrastructure investments. Speakers included Jim Bottum, Art Ellis and Ed Seidel.
- May 28: Academic Research Infrastructure (ARI-R2) and Major Research Instrumentation (MRI-R2) . A NSF webcast concerning two new program solicitations for research infrastructure and instrumentation. Free Seminar, registration required.
- How Universities and R&E Networks Can Be Global Leaders in Helping to Reduce Global Warming, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 10, 2009.
- Cybersecurity, Cyberinfrastucture, Fear 2.0, EDUCAUSE Now! June 12, 2008.
Cyberinfrastructure in Research:
- Developing a Coherent Cyberinfrastructure from Local Campuses to National Facilities: Challenges and Strategies, EDUCAUSE Campus Cyberinfrastructure Working Group, February 2009
- Higher Education IT and Cyberinfrastructure: Integrating Technologies for Scholarship, ECAR Research Study, June 2008
- Developing and Extending a Cyberinfrastructure Model, ECAR Bulletin, March 4, 2008
- Learning from E-Databases in an E-Data World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2008
- The Future of Scholarly Communication: Building the Infrastructure for Cyberscholarship, NSF ad JISC Report, April 2007
- What Do Researchers Need? Higher Education IT from the Researcher's Perspective, ECAR Ocassional Paper, August 2006.
- Final Report: A Workshop on Effective Approaches to Campus Research Computing Cyberinfrastructure, NSF Sponsored Grant, April 2006.
- Final Report of the Indiana University Cyberinfrastructure Research Taskforce, Indiana University, May 2005.
- Presentation: "Centralize Research Computing to Drive Innovation, Really", EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2005.
- Revolutionizing Science and Engineering Through Cyberinfrastructure, NSF, 2003
Teaching and Learning:
- Fostering Learning in the Networked World: The Cyberlearning Opportunity and Challenge, A 21st Century Agenda for the National Science Foundation, June 2008
- “7 Things You Should Know About Cyberinfrastructure”
The case studies from the CI-TEAM projects
- MARIACHI, July 2007
- nanoHUB, August 2007
- CyberBridges, September 2007
- Engineering Informatics for Bio-Inspired Robots, October 2007
- The Future of Scholarly Communication: Building the Infrastructure for Cyberscholarship
- Web Seminar: Teaching and Learning via Cyberinfrastructure
- Cyberinfrastructure For Us All: An Introduction to Cyberinfrastructure and the Liberal Arts
ACTI Campus Cyberinfrastructure (ACTI-CCI) Working Group
The EDUCAUSE Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI) comprises working groups that focus on particular areas of core technologies in order to identify emerging areas that may need particular attention, specific pain points that a working group may be able to help resolve, and other issues that would benefit from the attention of a group of leaders in the specific area of focus. ACTI-CCI's mission is to help educational institutions develop institutional strategies and plan their resource deployment in this emerging and evolving technological landscape and to help their users harness and optimize the power and capabilities of these new integrated IT tools and systems for educational and research applications in higher education.
These activities may include sponsorship of workshops, conferences, white papers and documents on these topics, and interactions and close cooperation with federal funding agencies and other sponsors to assure that grants for research and educational activities target the key components and essential cyber infrastructure tools, methods and technologies. Learn more about the working group here.
Updated February 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Cyberinfrastructure
- Cybersecurity: Selected Legal Issues
July 23, 2012
The federal government’s role in protecting U.S. citizens and critical infrastructure from cyber attacks has been the subject of recent congressional interest. Critical infrastructure commonly …
- Reducing the Cost of PCI Compliance
October 20, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2011 Annual Conference
Credit card payments are prevalent throughout university campuses and websites. Achieving PCI compliance is aggravated by the scope-related complexities of a typical cyberinfrastructure. This ses…
- July 26: Cybersecurity: An Overview of Risks to Critical Infrastructure
July 25, 2011
July 26, 2011 - 11 a.m. Critical Cyber Infrastructure Risks House Energy and Commerce Committee Hearing Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee hearing on "Cybersecurity: An O…
- NSF-Sponsored Workshop Report: Sustainable Funding and Business Models for Academic Cyberinfrastructure Facilities
November 18, 2010
This report summarizes the observations and recommendations from the National Science Foundation-sponsored workshop of the same title. Workshop papers submitted discuss the challenges faced in …
- End-to-End Optical Fiber Cyberinfrastructure for Data-Intensive Research: Implications for Your Campus
October 13, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
Most campuses today provide shared Internet connectivity only to the end user's labs, despite the existence of national-scale optical fiber networking capable of multiple wavelengths of 10 Gbp…
- Cybersecurity: When Will We Know If What We Are Doing Is Working?
September 4, 2009
© 2009 Clint Kreitner. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ …
- E08 Podcast: An Interview with Patrick Dreher - Cyberinfrastructure as a Fundemental Shift in Research and Teaching
July 21, 2009
This sixteen minute podcast features an interview with Patrick Dreher , Director of Advanced Computing Infrastructure and Systems at the Renaissance Computing Institute and Adjunct Professor o…
- Trail-Blazing the Cyberinfrastructure Road
July 1, 2008
© 2008 Patrick Dreher and Guy T. Almes The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by…
- American Higher Education Is Going Global: Implications for CIOs, National Networks, and Federal Policymakers
May 7, 2008
U.S. universities have come to see their universes in global terms, most visibly in brand-new overseas campuses. But just as important are joint teaching and research projects that dramatically int…
- EDUCAUSE Now - Show #2 - P2P, Clifford Lynch, IT Cultures
April 10, 2008
EDUCAUSE Now is a monthly podcast, focusing on the intelligent use of information technology in higher education. Each episode features a variety of stories, interviews, and views that relate…