Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
E-books have been around since the early 1990s but have had a slow adoption by the higher education community. While e-books allow for the inclusion of richer media, providing a more interactive experience for the reader, the format, as well as access and copyright issues, are still currently evolving. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Books.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Mobile Perspectives: On e-books E-Reading: The Transition in Higher Education EDUCAUSE Review, March/April 2011.
- 2011 Horizon Report, ELI/NMC, February 2011. Each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education. This year electronic books are prominently featured in the report.
- The User-Driven Purchase Giveaway Library, EDUCAUSE Review, September/October 2010.
- Deploying Innovation Locally, EDUCAUSE Review, September/October 2010.
- E-Textbooks: “An Interesting Ride”, EDUCAUSE Review, March/April 2010.
- 7 Things You Should Know About E-Readers, ELI, March 2010.
- Digital Books and Your Rights: A Checklist for Readers, Electronic Frontier Foundation, February 2010
- E-Books in Higher Education: Are We There Yet?, ECAR Research Bulletin, January 2010
Presentations, Podcasts, Seminars, and Videos
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 2012. This EDUCAUSE Live! This program addresses the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content
- Digital Content in Higher Education – Practical Findings, ELI Web Seminar, March 2011 (ELI membership required) This webinar provides an overview of the digital textbook landscape as it currently exists and a glimpse into the emerging trends that will shape higher education digital content in the near future.
- Dealing with the Changing World of E-Textbooks, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2010. This video from E10 examines the current trends in textbook technology with respect to delivery platform options (iPad, Kindle, etc.), software format (electronic publication versus PDF), and pedagogical implications.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Books
- [Mobile Perspectives: On e-books] E-Reading: The Transition in Higher Education
April 7, 2011
David McCarthy ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) is Director of Product Management for Digital Education at Barnes & Noble. Comments on this article can be posted to the web via the link at…
January 14, 2009
PUBLISHERS Book Industry Trends: College By Stephanie Oda and Glenn Sanislo From Book Industry Trends 2008 (New York: Book Industry Study Group, 2008), pp. 179-181. Reprin…
- Deploying Innovation Locally
October 7, 2010
© 2010 Veronica Diaz, Cindy Jennings, Kelvin Bentley, P. B. Garrett, Barron Koralesky, Christina Royal, and David Starrett. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attrib…
- E-Books in Higher Education: Nearing the End of the Era of Hype?
March 14, 2008
© 2008 Mark R. Nelson and EDUCAUSE EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 43, no. 2 (March/April 2008) Originally published by the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR): Mark R. Nelson, “E…
- E-Textbooks: "An Interesting Ride"
April 15, 2010
© 2010 Paul Musket, Darla Runyon, and Robin Schulze EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 45, no. 2 (March/April 2010): 12-13 Paul Musket ( email@example.com ) is Associate Director of t…
- Executive Summary
January 16, 2009
STUDENTS Course Correction : Executive Summary By Nicole Allen, Director, Make Textbooks Affordable Campaign From Course Correction: How Digital Textbooks Are Off Track, and H…
- Online Textbooks Deliver Timely, Real-World Content
January 16, 2009
Textbook: Information Systems: A Manager's Guide to Harnessing Technology Author: John Gallaugher, Associate Professor of Information Systems, Carroll School of Management…
- Some Thoughts on Free Textbooks
January 14, 2009
Textbooks : Introduction to Physical Oceanography; Our Ocean Planet; Environmental Science in the 21st Century Author: Robert Stewart, Professor, Oceanography Department,…
- The User-Driven Purchase Giveaway Library
October 7, 2010
© 2010 David W. Lewis. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ …