Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies [x]
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (19)
- Teaching and Learning (15)
- Information Systems and Services (11)
- Cybersecurity (9)
E-books have been around since the early 1990s but have had a slow adoption by the higher education community. While e-books allow for the inclusion of richer media, providing a more interactive experience for the reader, the format, as well as access and copyright issues, are still currently evolving. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Books.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- Assessment of E-Book Strategies, EDUCAUSE Live! June 25th, 2014. Claremont Colleges Library presents results from a study, comparing the usage of the print and electronic equivalent of the same Course Adopted Book title, they also give a quick look at the types of data collected and analyzed from the e-book DDA service.
- The Current State and Potential Future of E-Textbooks, ELI Brief, November 5, 2013. The University of Washington conducted a pilot to investigate two leading e-textbook platforms to determine which platform participants preferred. Participating instructors taught with their choice of e-textbook and selected the platform they preferred; they were not required to use the e-textbook in a predetermined manner. This brief discusses the pilot and its findings.
- Understanding What Higher Education Needs from E-Textbooks: An EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Pilot, ECAR Report. July 2013. This pilot shed light not just on the usability of McGraw-Hill textbooks in Courseload but more broadly on the value of digital materials in higher education at this time.
- Stanford School of Medicine E-Book Pilots, ELI Brief, January 2013. This project focused on the authoring and publishing processes as well as the response of the residents who were to be the eventual users.
- E-books: Developments and Policy Considerations, OECD, October 2012
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Mobile Perspectives: On e-books E-Reading: The Transition in Higher Education EDUCAUSE Review, March/April 2011.
- 2011 Horizon Report, ELI/NMC, February 2011. Each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education. This year electronic books are prominently featured in the report.
- The User-Driven Purchase Giveaway Library, EDUCAUSE Review, September/October 2010.
- Deploying Innovation Locally, EDUCAUSE Review, September/October 2010.
- E-Textbooks: “An Interesting Ride”, EDUCAUSE Review, March/April 2010.
- 7 Things You Should Know About E-Readers, ELI, March 2010.
- Digital Books and Your Rights: A Checklist for Readers, Electronic Frontier Foundation, February 2010
- E-Books in Higher Education: Are We There Yet?, ECAR Research Bulletin, January 2010
Presentations, Podcasts, Seminars, and Videos
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 2012. This EDUCAUSE Live! This program addresses the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content
- Digital Content in Higher Education – Practical Findings, ELI Web Seminar, March 2011 (ELI membership required) This webinar provides an overview of the digital textbook landscape as it currently exists and a glimpse into the emerging trends that will shape higher education digital content in the near future.
- Dealing with the Changing World of E-Textbooks, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2010. This video from E10 examines the current trends in textbook technology with respect to delivery platform options (iPad, Kindle, etc.), software format (electronic publication versus PDF), and pedagogical implications.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Books
- The 2013 Enterprise Application Market in Higher Education
November 20, 2014
ECAR CDS spotlights highlight findings from the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service, focusing on a small but meaningful slice of data collected in the CDS. This collection of ECAR CDS spotlights focuses…
- Resources for Presidents and Senior Executives: Administrative Systems and Services
September 15, 2014
These executive briefs are designed to help institutional leaders optimize the impact of IT in higher education. The Foundations offer a framework for considering higher education’s mo…
- Adapting the Established SIS to Meet Higher Education’s Increasingly Dynamic Needs
September 17, 2014
This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service to better understand how higher education institutions approach student information systems (SISs) . Information provided for…
- Maximizing Value in a Time of Change
August 12, 2014
In June 2014, nearly 150 higher education thought leaders representing both business operations and information technology met in Chicago, Illinois, to discuss challenges and opportunities for ad…
- The Ever-Present Demand for Public Computing Resources
January 15, 2014
This CDS Spotlight focuses on public computing resources , including lab/cluster workstations in buildings, virtual lab/cluster workstations, kiosks, laptop and tablet checkout progr…
- Higher Education in the Connected Age â€“ 2013 Infographic
October 31, 2013
Connecting is a powerful metaphor for IT and higher education. Everything—people, resources, data, ideas, are interconnected. Technology enables and catalyzes these connections, at an increasin…
- Central IT Support Services
August 12, 2013
This CDS Spotlight focuses on data from the 2012 Core Data Service to better understand how higher education institutions provide central IT support services . Information provided for this sp…
- 2012 CDS Executive Summary Report
January 24, 2013
This report summarizes results from the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) survey. Using a matched set of 616 CDS 2011 and CDS 2012 participating institutions, this year’s report is a detaile…
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics
February 25, 2013
Optimizing student success is the “killer app” for analytics in higher education . Intelligent investments in optimizing student success garner wide support and have a strong, justifia…
- Classroom and Instructional Technology
December 18, 2012
This CDS Spotlight focuses on survey results related to classroom technology . Creating effective learning environments in higher education classrooms with technology poses an ongoing challe…