Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Presentations and Seminars [x]
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) [x]
- Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI) [x]
- ECAR Campus Cyberinfrastructure Working Group (2)
- ECAR Communications Infrastructure and Applications WG (1)
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (6)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (4)
- Cyberinfrastructure (3)
- Advanced Core Technologies (2)
- Communication Technologies (2)
- Data Administration and Management (2)
- Data Management Plans (2)
- Information Systems and Services (2)
- Optimization (2)
- Telecommunications (2)
- Communication (1)
- Distributed Computing (1)
- IT Communications (1)
- Institutional Management (1)
- Institutional Research (1)
- Mobile Application Development (1)
- Mobile Computing (1)
- Research Computing (1)
- Technology Selection (1)
- Vendor Selection (1)
E-books have been around since the early 1990s but have had a slow adoption by the higher education community. While e-books allow for the inclusion of richer media, providing a more interactive experience for the reader, the format, as well as access and copyright issues, are still currently evolving. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Books.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Mobile Perspectives: On e-books E-Reading: The Transition in Higher Education EDUCAUSE Review, March/April 2011.
- 2011 Horizon Report, ELI/NMC, February 2011. Each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education. This year electronic books are prominently featured in the report.
- The User-Driven Purchase Giveaway Library, EDUCAUSE Review, September/October 2010.
- Deploying Innovation Locally, EDUCAUSE Review, September/October 2010.
- E-Textbooks: “An Interesting Ride”, EDUCAUSE Review, March/April 2010.
- 7 Things You Should Know About E-Readers, ELI, March 2010.
- Digital Books and Your Rights: A Checklist for Readers, Electronic Frontier Foundation, February 2010
- E-Books in Higher Education: Are We There Yet?, ECAR Research Bulletin, January 2010
- 7 Things You Should Know About E-Books, ELI, November 2006
Presentations, Podcasts, Seminars, and Videos
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 2012. This EDUCAUSE Live! This program addresses the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content
- Digital Content in Higher Education – Practical Findings, ELI Web Seminar, March 2011 (ELI membership required) This webinar provides an overview of the digital textbook landscape as it currently exists and a glimpse into the emerging trends that will shape higher education digital content in the near future.
- Dealing with the Changing World of E-Textbooks, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2010. This video from E10 examines the current trends in textbook technology with respect to delivery platform options (iPad, Kindle, etc.), software format (electronic publication versus PDF), and pedagogical implications.
- Kindles in the Classroom: Theories, Practices, and Results in a Lower-Division English Course, ELI Annual Conference, January 2010. At California Lutheran University, the goal of the Kindle pilot project was to explore and identify the practices that would best optimize the Kindle's teaching/learning potential—a potential CLU recognized as promoting deeper student engagement in critical reading and writing.
- E-Readers and E-Textbooks: Current Reality and Future Possibilities, EDUCAUSE Live!, August 2009. This seminar addresses the current state of e-reader devices and their functionality as platforms for the delivery of e-textbooks, as experienced by Northwest Missouri State University in its 2008–2009 pilot study.
Updated November 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Books
- ACTI-CCI Working Group Status Report (1/10/12)
January 10, 2012
Presentation from the ACTI Campus Cyberinfrastructure (ACTI-CCI) Working Group at the ACTI 2012 Member Meeting on January 10, 2012. This presents on the group's 2012 agenda, focusing on the …
- ACTI-CCM Working Group Status Report (1/10/12)
January 10, 2012
Presentation from the ACTI Communication, Collaboration, and Mobility (ACTI-CCM) Working Group at the ACTI 2012 Member Meeting on January 10, 2012. This presents on the group's main focus…
- SIP Services: Communication in the Cloud
August 2, 2012
In this ACTI Conversation webinar, speakers will discuss the Internet2 NET+ SIP cloud-based services, including the RFP process that was used to procure the services, what services are being offe…
- Supporting Research through the Development of a Data Management Plan Service
November 8, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Campuses are keenly aware of the need to adequately provide support services for research activities at all stages of development. This session will discuss how campuses can realign to support rese…
- ACTI Community Update (10/19/11)
October 19, 2011
An update on the Advanced Core Technologies Initiative ( ACTI ) and its working groups, provided at EDUCAUSE 2011. Provides a look at its members, activities, the upcoming in-person member meet…
- ACTI-OCI Working Group Status Report (1/10/12)
January 10, 2012
Presentation from the ACTI Optimizing Computing Infrastructure (ACTI-OCI) Working Group at the ACTI 2012 Member Meeting on January 10, 2012. This presents on the group's 2012 goals, includin…
- ACTI-MWF at ACTI/CSG 2012 (1/10/12)
January 10, 2012
Presentation from the ACTI Mobile Web Frameworks (ACTI-MWF) Working Group at the ACTI 2012 Member Meeting on January 10, 2012. This presents on the group's main goals for 2012 agenda, includ…
- ACTI-DM Working Group Status Report (1/10/12)
January 10, 2012
Presentation from the ACTI Data Management (ACTI-DM) Working Group at the ACTI 2012 Member Meeting on January 10, 2012. This presents on the group's 2012 agenda, including looking at Data M…
- ACTI Campus Cyberinfrastructure (CCI) Meeting
October 18, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2011 Annual Conference
The Advanced Core Technologies Initiative Campus Cyberinfrastructure Working Group will report on its latest projects and upcoming work. This is an excellent forum to share your insights and exch…