Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
E-books have been around since the early 1990s but have had a slow adoption by the higher education community. While e-books allow for the inclusion of richer media, providing a more interactive experience for the reader, the format, as well as access and copyright issues, are still currently evolving. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Books.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Mobile Perspectives: On e-books E-Reading: The Transition in Higher Education EDUCAUSE Review, March/April 2011.
- 2011 Horizon Report, ELI/NMC, February 2011. Each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education. This year electronic books are prominently featured in the report.
- The User-Driven Purchase Giveaway Library, EDUCAUSE Review, September/October 2010.
- Deploying Innovation Locally, EDUCAUSE Review, September/October 2010.
- E-Textbooks: “An Interesting Ride”, EDUCAUSE Review, March/April 2010.
- 7 Things You Should Know About E-Readers, ELI, March 2010.
- Digital Books and Your Rights: A Checklist for Readers, Electronic Frontier Foundation, February 2010
- E-Books in Higher Education: Are We There Yet?, ECAR Research Bulletin, January 2010
Presentations, Podcasts, Seminars, and Videos
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 2012. This EDUCAUSE Live! This program addresses the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content
- Digital Content in Higher Education – Practical Findings, ELI Web Seminar, March 2011 (ELI membership required) This webinar provides an overview of the digital textbook landscape as it currently exists and a glimpse into the emerging trends that will shape higher education digital content in the near future.
- Dealing with the Changing World of E-Textbooks, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2010. This video from E10 examines the current trends in textbook technology with respect to delivery platform options (iPad, Kindle, etc.), software format (electronic publication versus PDF), and pedagogical implications.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Books
May 2, 2012
From Game Changers Among the many strengths of higher education, the ones most frequently mentioned are the roles played by its mission that yield value to society and help create the futu…
- Game Changers: Education and Information Technologies
May 2, 2012
How can we reach more learners, more effectively, and with greater impact? Education changes lives and societies, but can we sustain the current model? New models and new technologies a…
- If I Had a Million Dollars
March 20, 2012
This ECAR Research Bulletin focuses on EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) survey results related to a somewhat lighthearted but insightful hypothetical question about how two constituent groups mig…
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects
March 19, 2012
If information technologies are to transform higher education, we must exploit opportunities and address problems. At the same time, transformed higher education cannot neglect important dimensi…
- Analytics Resources Bibliography
February 1, 2012
This annotated bibliography aggregates a wide range of resources related to analytics in higher education, from basic introductory material to more complex treatments of sub-topics. It also cont…
- The EDUCAUSE 2011 Core Data Service Report: Highlights and Insights into Higher Education Information Technology
January 31, 2012
Authors: Susan Grajek , Vice President for Data, Research, and Analytics, EDUCAUSE Pam Arroway , Senior Statistician, EDUCAUSE This report summarizes results from the 2011 EDUCAU…
- Funding-Model Archetypes for Central Information Technology Functions
January 17, 2012
This CDS Spotlight ECAR research bulletin focuses on EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) survey results related to funding models for Information Technology (IT) functions. Most IT professionals…
- Core Data Service Data Download Tips
December 9, 2011
This pdf offer tips and instructions on accessing and using the Core Data Service spreadsheet data downloads. This pdf offer tips and instructi…
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2011 Almanacs
October 13, 2011
These two-page, easy-to-scan summaries distill CDS data in a variety of categories that include IT Staffing, IT Support for Students, Teaching and Learning Support, Data Centers and many other ar…
- Connecting Student Data from ECAR and CDS
September 29, 2011
This CDS Spotlight focuses on integrating selected data from the 2010 CDS survey results with selected results of the ECAR National Study of Students and Information Technology in Higher Educat…