Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Cybersecurity [x]
- Security Policies [x]
- Campus Policy and Law (27)
- Policy and Law (27)
- Security Management (27)
- 30363 (25)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (17)
- Incident Handling and Response (16)
- Federal Policy and Law (14)
- IT Governance (14)
- Institutional Management (12)
- Security Risk Assessment and Analysis (12)
- Cybersecurity Policy (11)
- Network Security and Applications (10)
- Identity and Access Management (8)
- Firewalls (6)
- Authentication (5)
- Authorization (5)
- Security Awareness (5)
- Single Sign On (SSO) (5)
With the cost of textbooks soaring, many colleges and universities are looking to alternatives to the traditional paper text. The electronic textbook field is still emerging, and higher education is experimenting with the concept in various modes. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Textbooks.
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 E-Text Pilots
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 are implementing a series of e-text pilot efforts with colleges and universities to evaluate technologies and business models in the fast evolving migration from traditional textbooks to electronic content. Learn More >
E-Texts Constituent Group
Intended for general discussion in addition to news about the pilot, the E-Texts Constituent Group discusses the rapidly evolving domain of digital textbooks, multimedia supplements, tutorial websites, e-reader/annotation software, and related materials. Learn More >
- The Changing Textbook Industry, November 21, 2013. Jonathan Band discusses how the internet has disrupted the textbook market and the future changes due to the recent Affordable College Textbook Act.
- eText Clock is Ticking for Textbook Publishers, Blog post written by Bruce Maas, the CIO and Vice Provost for Information Technology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. September 23, 2013
- Understanding What Higher Education Needs from E-Textbooks: An EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Pilot, ECAR Research Report. July 2013. This pilot sheds light not just on the usability of McGraw-Hill textbooks in Courseload but more broadly on the value of digital materials in higher education at this time.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Evolution of the Textbook, ELI 7 Things, April 2012. This resource examines a new breed of rich-media publishing tools that offer an evolving set of opportunities both for the creation process and for the kinds of resources that can be produced.
- Developing a Digital Textbook Strategy for Your Campus, Florida Distance Learning Consortium, February 2012. This one-day symposium examined institution and state level digital textbook initiatives, including national trends and prevailing models for both publisher digital textbooks and open textbooks.
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 24, 2012 - This EDUCAUSE Live! program addressd the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content.
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Digital Texts and the Future of Education: Why Books?, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, March 2011. Abilene Christian University and GYLO partnered to investigate student attitudes and perceptions of the impact of using a mobile device as a supplemental tool for teaching statistics.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Open Textbook Publishing, ELI 7 Things, March 2011. Open textbooks can be offered by commercial publishers or found in open repositories. Open resources can promote active learning through student interaction with the text, particularly when they contribute to authorship.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Textbooks
- Protecting the Security of Research Data
November 8, 2011
The effective protection and management of research data has become a hot topic in U.S. higher education. Funding agencies increasingly require data management plans as part of grant submittals…
- Information Confidentiality
March 11, 2009
Protecting information confidentiality is a critical security objective for all colleges and universities. Institutions must deploy confidentiality controls in addition to security controls, and…
- Information Security Governance: Standardizing the Practice of Information Security
August 19, 2008
This ECAR research bulletin discusses the trend to use a variety of risk assessment frameworks and standards to create an information security program that is sufficiently comprehensive for colle…
- IT Security Officer Survey
April 9, 2008
This April 2008 survey is a critical component of the EDUCAUSE Center on Applied Research (ECAR) study of information security officers in higher education. It seeks to understand the important c…
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology
March 18, 2008
This research bulletin presents a methodology, used successfully at the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) in Australia, for managing and assessing risks related to information technology sys…
- Local IT Security for Colleges, Schools, and Departments: A Higher Education Perspective
December 5, 2006
This bulletin discusses some of the lessons learned by the Emory College, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, in developing its information technology security strategy, as well as what other schools g…
- Most Improved: How Four Institutions Developed Successful IT Security Programs
November 3, 2006
Researchers conducted this in-depth case study to complement the ECAR study, Safeguarding the Tower: IT Security in Higher Education 2006. The case study examines how four higher education instit…
- The Virginia Alliance for Secure Computing and Networking (VA SCAN): A Statewide Collaborative IT Security Resource
October 17, 2006
This case study examines ways in which the Virginia Alliance for Secure Computing and Networking (VA SCAN) provides a blueprint for higher education institutions interested in collaboratively pro…
- Safeguarding the Tower: IT Security in Higher Education 2006
October 11, 2006
Presentation at EDUCAUSE 2006, October 9-12, 2006, Dallas, Texas. This presentation summarizes the findings of the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research 2006 study of information technology s…
- Baylor University's IT Security Risk Assessment Program
October 12, 2006
This case study examines Baylor University's risk assessment program for information technology security, which was established in the face of the escalating demands that security places on …