Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
With the cost of textbooks soaring, many colleges and universities are looking to alternatives to the traditional paper text. The electronic textbook field is still emerging, and higher education is experimenting with the concept in various modes. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Textbooks.
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 E-Text Pilots
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 are implementing a series of e-text pilot efforts with colleges and universities to evaluate technologies and business models in the fast evolving migration from traditional textbooks to electronic content. Learn More >
E-Texts Constituent Group
Intended for general discussion in addition to news about the pilot, the E-Texts Constituent Group discusses the rapidly evolving domain of digital textbooks, multimedia supplements, tutorial websites, e-reader/annotation software, and related materials. Learn More >
- The Current State and Potential Future of E-Textbooks, ELI Brief, November 2013. This brief discusses the University of Washington E-Textbook pilot and its findings.
- The Changing Textbook Industry, November 21, 2013. Jonathan Band discusses how the internet has disrupted the textbook market and the future changes due to the recent Affordable College Textbook Act.
- eText Clock is Ticking for Textbook Publishers, Blog post written by Bruce Maas, the CIO and Vice Provost for Information Technology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. September 23, 2013
- Understanding What Higher Education Needs from E-Textbooks: An EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Pilot, ECAR Research Report. July 2013. This pilot sheds light not just on the usability of McGraw-Hill textbooks in Courseload but more broadly on the value of digital materials in higher education at this time.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Evolution of the Textbook, ELI 7 Things, April 2012. This resource examines a new breed of rich-media publishing tools that offer an evolving set of opportunities both for the creation process and for the kinds of resources that can be produced.
- Developing a Digital Textbook Strategy for Your Campus, Florida Distance Learning Consortium, February 2012. This one-day symposium examined institution and state level digital textbook initiatives, including national trends and prevailing models for both publisher digital textbooks and open textbooks.
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 24, 2012 - This EDUCAUSE Live! program addressd the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content.
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Digital Texts and the Future of Education: Why Books?, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, March 2011. Abilene Christian University and GYLO partnered to investigate student attitudes and perceptions of the impact of using a mobile device as a supplemental tool for teaching statistics.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Open Textbook Publishing, ELI 7 Things, March 2011. Open textbooks can be offered by commercial publishers or found in open repositories. Open resources can promote active learning through student interaction with the text, particularly when they contribute to authorship.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Textbooks
- Just in Time Research: Data Breaches in Higher Education
May 20, 2014
This “Just in Time” research is in response to recent discussions on the EDUCAUSE Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) discussion list about data breaches in higher education…
- 2014 Planning Guide for Data Management
December 9, 2013
Gartner's 2014 planning guide for data management can help institutions who are tracking, planning, or even implementing data management programs. The guide covers such concepts as big data,…
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences
July 29, 2013
IT risk management identifies, assesses, and responds to IT risks. Effective IT risk management examines issues such as institutional use of data , IT security measures to prevent or…
- Information Security
June 14, 2013
This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2012 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach information security activities. Information provided …
- Enterprise Content-Aware DLP Solution Comparison and Select Vendor Profiles
May 14, 2013
This Gartner report covers content-aware data-loss prevention, which has grown up and is on the verge of becoming a standard part of security architecture. A small set of vendors dominate a major…
- Protecting the Security of Research Data
November 8, 2011
The effective protection and management of research data has become a hot topic in U.S. higher education. Funding agencies increasingly require data management plans as part of grant submittals…
- Practical Strategies for Managing Risk in Cloud Computing
March 1, 2011
This ECAR research bulletin identifies some key principles on which to base decisions related to security assurance and compliance capabilities in cloud computing environments. It also illustrate…
- Electronic Records Management: Todayâ€™s High Stakes
April 20, 2010
This ECAR research bulletin discusses the issues involved in successful electronic records management and provides guidance on how to start and sustain an electronic records management program a…
- Revitalizing Data Stewardship through Risk Reduction: Managing Sensitive Data at the University of Virginia
December 1, 2009
The 2009 ECAR study Institutional Data Management in Higher Education , by Ronald Yanosky, examines how higher education institutions are facing the challenges of institutional data management…
- Institutional Data Management in Higher Education Roadmap
December 1, 2009
This ECAR roadmap synthesizes the important issues and recommended actions drawn from the study Institutional Data Management in Higher Education , by Ronald Yanosky. The study examines the po…