Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) [x]
- Research Bulletins (35)
- Research Report (21)
- ECAR Case Studies (12)
- Presentations (12)
- Survey Instruments (10)
- Key Findings (8)
- Roadmaps (8)
- Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI) (2)
- ECAR Interactive Graphics and Infographics (2)
- Research Hub (2)
- ECAR Campus Cyberinfrastructure Working Group (1)
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office (1)
- EDUCAUSE Publications (1)
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
With the cost of textbooks soaring, many colleges and universities are looking to alternatives to the traditional paper text. The electronic textbook field is still emerging, and higher education is experimenting with the concept in various modes. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Textbooks.
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 E-Text Pilots
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 are implementing a series of e-text pilot efforts with colleges and universities to evaluate technologies and business models in the fast evolving migration from traditional textbooks to electronic content. Learn More >
E-Texts Constituent Group
Intended for general discussion in addition to news about the pilot, the E-Texts Constituent Group discusses the rapidly evolving domain of digital textbooks, multimedia supplements, tutorial websites, e-reader/annotation software, and related materials. Learn More >
- The Current State and Potential Future of E-Textbooks, ELI Brief, November 2013. This brief discusses the University of Washington E-Textbook pilot and its findings.
- The Changing Textbook Industry, November 21, 2013. Jonathan Band discusses how the internet has disrupted the textbook market and the future changes due to the recent Affordable College Textbook Act.
- eText Clock is Ticking for Textbook Publishers, Blog post written by Bruce Maas, the CIO and Vice Provost for Information Technology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. September 23, 2013
- Understanding What Higher Education Needs from E-Textbooks: An EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Pilot, ECAR Research Report. July 2013. This pilot sheds light not just on the usability of McGraw-Hill textbooks in Courseload but more broadly on the value of digital materials in higher education at this time.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Evolution of the Textbook, ELI 7 Things, April 2012. This resource examines a new breed of rich-media publishing tools that offer an evolving set of opportunities both for the creation process and for the kinds of resources that can be produced.
- Developing a Digital Textbook Strategy for Your Campus, Florida Distance Learning Consortium, February 2012. This one-day symposium examined institution and state level digital textbook initiatives, including national trends and prevailing models for both publisher digital textbooks and open textbooks.
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 24, 2012 - This EDUCAUSE Live! program addressd the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content.
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Digital Texts and the Future of Education: Why Books?, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, March 2011. Abilene Christian University and GYLO partnered to investigate student attitudes and perceptions of the impact of using a mobile device as a supplemental tool for teaching statistics.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Open Textbook Publishing, ELI 7 Things, March 2011. Open textbooks can be offered by commercial publishers or found in open repositories. Open resources can promote active learning through student interaction with the text, particularly when they contribute to authorship.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Textbooks
- 2014 Planning Guide for Data Management
December 9, 2013
Gartner's 2014 planning guide for data management can help institutions who are tracking, planning, or even implementing data management programs. The guide covers such concepts as big data,…
- 2025: Your Data--Valuable and Viable?
December 4, 2009
A session at the ECAR Symposium 2009
December 4, 2009 ECAR09_192229 …
- A Framework for HIPAA IT Security Compliance: Leveraging for Security
December 7, 2004
This research bulletin describes a functional framework for higher education compliance with the HIPAA IT security final rule. The framework, which can be adapted for individual universities, inc…
- A Systematic, Comprehensive Approach to Information Security
July 6, 2005
Information security is a process of business risk management that must be performed on an ongoing basis. It is critical to take an approach to information security that examines the risks and s…
- Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI) Prospectus
September 30, 2010
EDUCAUSE is launching a new program called the Advanced Core Technologies Initiative (ACTI). A primary goal of ACTI is to help higher education institutions, with varying capabilities and resour…
- At Least It Wasn’t a Football Weekend: The Notre Dame Tunnel Fire
October 6, 2009
This ECAR research bulletin discusses how the University of Notre Dame created and refined its incident response plan, how the utility tunnel fire of August 28, 2009, played out within that fram…
- Baylor University's IT Security Risk Assessment Program
October 12, 2006
This case study examines Baylor University's risk assessment program for information technology security, which was established in the face of the escalating demands that security places on …
- Campus IT Security: Governance, Strategy, Policy, and Enforcement
August 15, 2006
Successful implementation of an effective information, data, and system "security blanket" for higher education institutions requires recognition of and action upon the cultural, politi…
- Campus IT Security: Leveraging Identity Management Technologies
October 10, 2006
This bulletin is a companion to Campus IT Security: Governance, Strategy, Policy, and Enforcement, ECAR's 2006 bulletin (No. 17) by the same authors. Security technologies provide various ty…
- CBO Perspectives on IT and Business Continuity
September 25, 2006
This September-October 2006 survey, administered to chief business officers and chief financial officers affiliated with the National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACU…