Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
With the cost of textbooks soaring, many colleges and universities are looking to alternatives to the traditional paper text. The electronic textbook field is still emerging, and higher education is experimenting with the concept in various modes. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Textbooks.
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 E-Text Pilots
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 are implementing a series of e-text pilot efforts with colleges and universities to evaluate technologies and business models in the fast evolving migration from traditional textbooks to electronic content. Learn More >
E-Texts Constituent Group
Intended for general discussion in addition to news about the pilot, the E-Texts Constituent Group discusses the rapidly evolving domain of digital textbooks, multimedia supplements, tutorial websites, e-reader/annotation software, and related materials. Learn More >
- The Current State and Potential Future of E-Textbooks, ELI Brief, November 2013. This brief discusses the University of Washington E-Textbook pilot and its findings.
- The Changing Textbook Industry, November 21, 2013. Jonathan Band discusses how the internet has disrupted the textbook market and the future changes due to the recent Affordable College Textbook Act.
- eText Clock is Ticking for Textbook Publishers, Blog post written by Bruce Maas, the CIO and Vice Provost for Information Technology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. September 23, 2013
- Understanding What Higher Education Needs from E-Textbooks: An EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Pilot, ECAR Research Report. July 2013. This pilot sheds light not just on the usability of McGraw-Hill textbooks in Courseload but more broadly on the value of digital materials in higher education at this time.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Evolution of the Textbook, ELI 7 Things, April 2012. This resource examines a new breed of rich-media publishing tools that offer an evolving set of opportunities both for the creation process and for the kinds of resources that can be produced.
- Developing a Digital Textbook Strategy for Your Campus, Florida Distance Learning Consortium, February 2012. This one-day symposium examined institution and state level digital textbook initiatives, including national trends and prevailing models for both publisher digital textbooks and open textbooks.
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 24, 2012 - This EDUCAUSE Live! program addressd the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content.
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Digital Texts and the Future of Education: Why Books?, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, March 2011. Abilene Christian University and GYLO partnered to investigate student attitudes and perceptions of the impact of using a mobile device as a supplemental tool for teaching statistics.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Open Textbook Publishing, ELI 7 Things, March 2011. Open textbooks can be offered by commercial publishers or found in open repositories. Open resources can promote active learning through student interaction with the text, particularly when they contribute to authorship.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Textbooks
- Introducing the Learning Space Toolkit
November 19, 2012
Join the ELI’s Malcolm Brown, director, and Veronica Diaz, associate director, as they moderate this webinar on the Learning Space Toolkit project. The toolkit is a freely available resourc…
- The Current and Future State of Higher Education
November 20, 2012
Although there may be disagreement about where higher education is headed, few will disagree that we are in a time of change, a time in which a unique set of challenges have emerged. How should w…
- What You Need to Know about Today's Higher Education IT Workforce
December 17, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - What You Need to Know about Today's Higher Education IT Workforce
Today's challenging economic climate has led some to speculate that there are concomitant changes in the higher education IT workforce-more outsourcing, lower staff morale, and steeper compe…
- Tracking SARA: An Update on the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement
November 14, 2012
The federal regulation requiring institutions to get local approval (if needed) when serving students in other states is on hold but might return. Meanwhile, the states still expect instituti…
- The Enterprise Application Market in Higher Education
October 25, 2012
Learn which solutions colleges and universities have deployed for 16 enterprise-level applications, ranging from financials to student information to CRM. Using data from the Core Data Service, t…
- Digital Badges and Meaningful Microcredentials
October 15, 2012
We will explore how informal and nontraditional learning environments are impacting how we think about education. In particular, we'll discuss peer-to-peer learning trends and unpack the nee…
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time
December 5, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Building the Connected Learning Platformâ€“One Brick at a Time
Imagine what would happen if CIOs knew that faculty and students could easily add services and applications in a matter of days instead of months, if instructors could seamlessly combine these to…
- Security Awareness and Communication in the C-Suite
October 4, 2012
Drawing on more than 30 years of global experience, Dave Cullinane will share challenges that CISOs face while in the C-suite. This session will focus on how to advance executive understanding …
- Flip the Classroom and Catalyze the Learning
September 24, 2012
September 27, 2012, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. ET (UTC-4); convert to your time zone Thanks to the availability of web-based lectures and information sources, the "flipped classroom&q…
- The Annual ECAR Student and IT Study
November 12, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The Annual ECAR Student and IT Study
The EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) conducts an annual study about undergraduates' technology experiences and expectations in higher education. The results of this study pro…