Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
With the cost of textbooks soaring, many colleges and universities are looking to alternatives to the traditional paper text. The electronic textbook field is still emerging, and higher education is experimenting with the concept in various modes. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Textbooks.
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 E-Text Pilots
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 are implementing a series of e-text pilot efforts with colleges and universities to evaluate technologies and business models in the fast evolving migration from traditional textbooks to electronic content. Learn More >
E-Texts Constituent Group
Intended for general discussion in addition to news about the pilot, the E-Texts Constituent Group discusses the rapidly evolving domain of digital textbooks, multimedia supplements, tutorial websites, e-reader/annotation software, and related materials. Learn More >
- The Current State and Potential Future of E-Textbooks, ELI Brief, November 2013. This brief discusses the University of Washington E-Textbook pilot and its findings.
- The Changing Textbook Industry, November 21, 2013. Jonathan Band discusses how the internet has disrupted the textbook market and the future changes due to the recent Affordable College Textbook Act.
- eText Clock is Ticking for Textbook Publishers, Blog post written by Bruce Maas, the CIO and Vice Provost for Information Technology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. September 23, 2013
- Understanding What Higher Education Needs from E-Textbooks: An EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Pilot, ECAR Research Report. July 2013. This pilot sheds light not just on the usability of McGraw-Hill textbooks in Courseload but more broadly on the value of digital materials in higher education at this time.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Evolution of the Textbook, ELI 7 Things, April 2012. This resource examines a new breed of rich-media publishing tools that offer an evolving set of opportunities both for the creation process and for the kinds of resources that can be produced.
- Developing a Digital Textbook Strategy for Your Campus, Florida Distance Learning Consortium, February 2012. This one-day symposium examined institution and state level digital textbook initiatives, including national trends and prevailing models for both publisher digital textbooks and open textbooks.
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 24, 2012 - This EDUCAUSE Live! program addressd the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content.
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Digital Texts and the Future of Education: Why Books?, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, March 2011. Abilene Christian University and GYLO partnered to investigate student attitudes and perceptions of the impact of using a mobile device as a supplemental tool for teaching statistics.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Open Textbook Publishing, ELI 7 Things, March 2011. Open textbooks can be offered by commercial publishers or found in open repositories. Open resources can promote active learning through student interaction with the text, particularly when they contribute to authorship.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Textbooks
- The Top Ten Issues in Higher Education IT
July 19, 2012
EDUCAUSE works with members to identify the top-ten issues in higher education IT each year. The resulting EDUCAUSE Review article is a member favorite. This year’s list is significantly di…
- The Direction of Fair Use for Education: New Law and New Possibilities
July 12, 2012
Copyright and fair use has long been a critical element of innovative technologies. On campus, we steadily create new works and use existing ones—and nearly all of them are automatically pr…
- The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service: Core Metrics in Action
August 21, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service: Core Metrics in Action
IT leaders are discussing the evolving landscape of IT and what the future of higher education may mean for their organizations. Increasingly, they look to data and benchmarking to support their …
- Iterative Design for Learning: Using Design Research and Prototyping to Innovate and Support Learning
July 9, 2012
Join Malcolm Brown, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative director, and Veronica Diaz, ELI associate director, as they moderate this webinar with Dr. Alan Foley. Alan will discuss the evolution of desig…
- A Vision for Cloud- and Earth-based Services at UC Davis
January 26, 2011
January 26, 2011 LIVE114_263862 …
- National Status of Data Management: Current Research in Policy and Education
June 21, 2012
This panel features updates from three interrelated projects examining the data management ecosystem to determine requirements and best practices in policy, graduate education, and professional…
- Learning Analytics: Using Big Data to Predict Student Success
June 11, 2012
Join Malcolm Brown, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative director, and Veronica Diaz, ELI associate director, as they moderate this webinar with Sebastian Diaz and Hae Okimoto on a multi-institutional pr…
- Rolling Out a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Program
June 5, 2012
Use of personally owned devices continues to grow on campuses. If we don’t support these devices , community members will find their own way to support them, which could put our networks…
- The Top-Ten Issues in Higher Education IT for 2012
May 22, 2012
EDUCAUSE annually works with members to identify the top-ten issues in higher educLIVE1212ation IT. The resulting EDUCAUSE Review article is a member favorite. This year’s list is signifi…
- Enterprise Analytics and the CIO
May 10, 2012
Analytics has been the hot topic in business circles and is becoming increasingly important in higher education. CIOs play a special role in establishing and advancing analytics initiatives wit…