Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (76)
- Planning (54)
- IT Strategic Planning (31)
- Cybersecurity (20)
- Security Management (19)
- Policy and Law (14)
- Disaster Recovery Planning (13)
- Business Continuity (11)
- Data Security (11)
- Strategic Planning (10)
- Teaching and Learning (10)
- Federal Policy and Law (9)
- Institutional Management (8)
- Security Risk Assessment and Analysis (7)
- 30363 (6)
- Campus Policy and Law (6)
- Computing Facilities (6)
- Information Systems and Services (6)
- Libraries and Technology (6)
- Security Planning (6)
With the cost of textbooks soaring, many colleges and universities are looking to alternatives to the traditional paper text. The electronic textbook field is still emerging, and higher education is experimenting with the concept in various modes. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to E-Textbooks.
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 E-Text Pilots
EDUCAUSE and Internet2 are implementing a series of e-text pilot efforts with colleges and universities to evaluate technologies and business models in the fast evolving migration from traditional textbooks to electronic content. Learn More >
E-Texts Constituent Group
Intended for general discussion in addition to news about the pilot, the E-Texts Constituent Group discusses the rapidly evolving domain of digital textbooks, multimedia supplements, tutorial websites, e-reader/annotation software, and related materials. Learn More >
- The Changing Textbook Industry, November 21, 2013. Jonathan Band discusses how the internet has disrupted the textbook market and the future changes due to the recent Affordable College Textbook Act.
- eText Clock is Ticking for Textbook Publishers, Blog post written by Bruce Maas, the CIO and Vice Provost for Information Technology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. September 23, 2013
- Understanding What Higher Education Needs from E-Textbooks: An EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Pilot, ECAR Research Report. July 2013. This pilot sheds light not just on the usability of McGraw-Hill textbooks in Courseload but more broadly on the value of digital materials in higher education at this time.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Evolution of the Textbook, ELI 7 Things, April 2012. This resource examines a new breed of rich-media publishing tools that offer an evolving set of opportunities both for the creation process and for the kinds of resources that can be produced.
- Developing a Digital Textbook Strategy for Your Campus, Florida Distance Learning Consortium, February 2012. This one-day symposium examined institution and state level digital textbook initiatives, including national trends and prevailing models for both publisher digital textbooks and open textbooks.
- eTexts: A Perishable Opportunity for Higher Education?, EDUCAUSE Live!, January 24, 2012 - This EDUCAUSE Live! program addressd the strategic, business, and policy implications for institutions in light of a changing world of consumer electronics and new models for digital educational resources such as eTexts, website tutorials, and other licensed content.
- A Study of Four Textbook Distribution Models, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011. In preparation for campus-wide e-text adoption, Daytona State College completed a two-year comparative study of four textbook distribution models: print purchase, print rental, e-text rental, and e-text rental with e-reader device.
- Digital Texts and the Future of Education: Why Books?, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, March 2011. Abilene Christian University and GYLO partnered to investigate student attitudes and perceptions of the impact of using a mobile device as a supplemental tool for teaching statistics.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Open Textbook Publishing, ELI 7 Things, March 2011. Open textbooks can be offered by commercial publishers or found in open repositories. Open resources can promote active learning through student interaction with the text, particularly when they contribute to authorship.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for E-Textbooks
- Mansfield University Campus Technology Plan and Annual Report, 2010-2011
June 20, 2011
Mansfield University's Campus Technology Plan and Annual Report 2010-11 Mansfield University's Campus Technology Plan and Annual Report…
- 2007-2011 Strategic Plan for Information Technology
December 4, 2007
Strategic Plan for Information Technology at Western Kentucky University. Strategic Plan for Information Technology at Western Kentucky Universit…
- Oakland University Technology Services Strategic Plan 2010-2013
July 31, 2012
University Technology Services Strategic Plan (July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2013) for Oakland University. University Technology Services Strategic …
- IT@CSUMB Strategic Plan 2006 - 2010
October 21, 2008
Strategic Information Technology Strategic Plan for California State University, Monterey Bay. Strategic Information Technology Strategic Plan fo…
- NMSU 2007 Information Technology Plan
April 11, 2007
New Mexico State University (NMSU) Information Technology (IT) Strategic plan for 2007. New Mexico State University (NMSU) Information Technology…
- Brooklyn College Information Technology Assessment Plan
January 1, 2007
Brooklyn College's IT strategic plan, 2007. Brooklyn College's IT strategic plan, 2007. …
- Empowering the University Community Through Information Technology
January 1, 2007
West Virginia University's Information Technology Strategic Plan. West Virginia University's Information Technology Strategic Plan. …
- University of Washington Network Security Credo
January 1, 2002
Incidents of unauthorized access to networked computer systems in an enterprise are growing at fearful rates. The purpose of this document is to identify general design principles and practices for…
- UC Berkeley Office of Continuity Planning
January 13, 2010
The UC Berkeley Office of Continuity Planning web site was created to bring together many campus resources including the current version of the UC Berkeley campus plan. …
- University of Wisconsin-Stout Emergency Management Information
December 2, 2010
University of Wisconsin-Stout's Emergency Management web site. This page inlcudes information on H1N1, 2010 Campus Safety (Clery Act) Report, Campus Emergency Notification and Emergency Ma…