Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
In the aftermath of the tragedy at Virginia Tech and the devastation of Katrina, many of our members have been faced with establishing or improving their campus emergency notification systems. This page was created in an effort to help member institutions strategically establish emergency plans and policies using emergency notification systems.
Articles, Reports and Seminars
- Emergency Notification Strategy, ECAR Working Group, April 2014 (ECAR Subscription Required).
- Emergency Communications Management and the Clery Act, EDUCAUSE Live!, February 28, 2014.
- Spreading the Word: Messaging and Communications in Higher Education ECAR Research Study, March 2009
- The Multi-Dimensional Nature of Emergency Communications Management, EDUCAUSE Review, Jan/Feb 2009
- The internal review report for the Communications Infrastructure, Virginia Tech, August 17, 2007
- Lessons Learned from the April 16, 2007, Tragedy at Virginia Tech, EDUCAUSE Live! Web Seminar, November 5, 2007
There are obviously many more products than there are technologies. We welcome additional submissions to this list.
- Alertus Technologies
- Everbridge Aware for Campus Alerts
- Rave Alert
- UCF Report on Four Technologies
Sample of Campus Alert Notification Websites
Please share your institution's alert notification website where more information is available concerning your campus solution to emergency alert notification. Please consider emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to get your item listed in our library. Many of the sites listed below have also developed FAQ's that other institutions may find useful in the development of their emergency notification system.
- Bellevue Community College Alert System
- Buckeye Alert System/The Ohio State University
- CU-Boulder Campus Alerts/University of Colorado, Boulder
- Hawk Alerts/University of Iowa
- Ithaca College Emergency Notification System
- Messiah College Text Message Alert System
- UAlert!/The University of Arizona
- UMD Alerts/University of Maryland
- U.Va. Alerts/University of Virginia
- VT Alerts/Virginia Tech
- WVU Alert/West Virginia University
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Emergency Notification
- Outdoor Sirens, Low-Tech but Highly Effective, Bolster Colleges' Emergency Responses
March 24, 2008
Colleges and universities around the country, ever more mindful of campus safety, are installing outdoor sirens. The systems can blast spoken messages or tone alerts of dangerâ€”and one of t…
- Leveraging Technology and Human Systems in an Emergency
August 4, 2008
Â© 2008 Stan Molinski Good Ideas Leveraging Technology and Human Systems in an Emergency Saint Peter's College responded to a bomb threat and evacuated the campus safely and effic…
- Do Emergency Text Messaging Systems Put Students in More Danger?
August 4, 2008
Â© 2008 John Bambenek and Agnieszka Klus. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ ). EDUCAUS…
- Messaging and Communication Survey
July 17, 2008
This July 2008 survey is a critical component of the EDUCAUSE Center on Applied Research (ECAR) study of messaging and communication in higher education. It seeks to understand the provision, pol…
- E08 Podcast: Crisis Communications: The Virginia Tech Response
November 17, 2008
This forty-minute podcast features a session recorded at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference. The speech, " Crisis Communications: The Virginia Tech Response ," is by Larry Hincker …
- Text Messaging as Emergency Communication Superstar? Nt so gr8.
May 7, 2008
Â© 2008 Dewitt Latimer EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 43, no. 3 (May/June 2008): 84–85 Text Messaging as Emergency Communication Superstar? Nt so gr8. Dewitt Latimer Dewitt La…
- Emergency Messaging Symposium: UC Davis
April 11, 2008
The University of California, Davis hosted this event to provide a forum for the University of California community involved in emergency planning and management to share ideas, plans, challenges…
- What Kind of Notification System Works Best When Crisis Strikes?
February 22, 2008
(Wally) Czerniak was attending a conference in Arizona where he was learning, among other things, about emergency-notification systems that can send text messages to cellphones - a method that a …
- Is Blackboard on Your BlackBerry Far Behind?
January 15, 2008
Higher ed’s largest maker of course management systems acquires NTI Group, one of the top mass messaging providers. Higher ed’s largest maker…
- UCD Pandemic Planning
October 24, 2007
This is the web site for the University of California, Davis Pandemic Planning docments. Includes information on Avian Influenza and campus planning. …