Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Georgia State Case Resources
Want to find out more about this case? Visit the ICPL Georgia State Case Resources page for links to helpful articles and blogs related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
Copyright law, especially Fair Use can be a complicated and confusing issue to navigate. The following resources have been collected to help librarians and other interested parties determine when fair use of copyrighted materials is allowed.
Recent Legal Decisions Concerning Fair Use;
- Unbeaten Streak, Inside Higher Education, June 2014 - HathiTrust, a digital library consortium, won a case that grants them the legal right to digitize copyrighted works for accessibility purposes.
Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Academic and Research Libraries, ARL and American University. January 2012. This is a code of best practices in fair use devised specifically by and for the academic and research library community. It enhances the ability of librarians to rely on fair use by documenting the considered views of the library community about best practices in fair use, drawn from the actual practices and experience of the library community itself.
The following resources were collected by the Center for Social Media at American University.
- Best Practices in Fair Use of Dance-related Materials
- The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education
- Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Online Video
- Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Open CourseWare
- Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Scholarly Research in Communication
- Documentary Filmmakers' Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies' Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use in Teaching for Film and Media Educators
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies' Statement of Fair Use Best Practices for Media Studies Publishing
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Fair Use
- Fair Use Challenges in Academic and Research Libraries
December 20, 2010
This report summarizes research into the current application of fair use to meet the missions of U.S. academic and research libraries. Sixty-five librarians were interviewed confidentially by tel…
- Fighting a Copyright Charge
March 4, 2010
UCLA says it will start streaming videos on course Web sites again -- despite legal threats from an educational media trade group. UCLA says it …
- The Campus Guide to Copyright Compliance
January 1, 2005
The Campus Guide to Copyright Compliance was designed for academic institutions to help answer questions ranging from basic copyright law to the more complex topics of ILL and e-reserves. …
- Campus Copyright Rights and Responsibilities: A Basic Guide to Policy Considerations
January 1, 2005
The American Association of Universities produced a new white paper designed to help colleges and universities navigate copyright issues. "Campus Copyright Rights and Responsibilities: A Basic…