Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Georgia State Case Resources
Want to find out more about this case? Visit the ICPL Georgia State Case Resources page for links to helpful articles and blogs related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
Copyright law, especially Fair Use can be a complicated and confusing issue to navigate. The following resources have been collected to help librarians and other interested parties determine when fair use of copyrighted materials is allowed.
Recent Legal Decisions Concerning Fair Use;
- Unbeaten Streak, Inside Higher Education, June 2014 - HathiTrust, a digital library consortium, won a case that grants them the legal right to digitize copyrighted works for accessibility purposes.
Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Academic and Research Libraries, ARL and American University. January 2012. This is a code of best practices in fair use devised specifically by and for the academic and research library community. It enhances the ability of librarians to rely on fair use by documenting the considered views of the library community about best practices in fair use, drawn from the actual practices and experience of the library community itself.
The following resources were collected by the Center for Social Media at American University.
- Best Practices in Fair Use of Dance-related Materials
- The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education
- Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Online Video
- Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Open CourseWare
- Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Scholarly Research in Communication
- Documentary Filmmakers' Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies' Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use in Teaching for Film and Media Educators
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies' Statement of Fair Use Best Practices for Media Studies Publishing
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Fair Use
- Finding the Public Domain: 19 Institutions Making an Impact
November 5, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Finding the Public Domain
Working together through the IMLS-grant funded Copyright Review Management System (CRMS), nineteen libraries collaborate daily in identifying public domain volumes held in the HathiTrust Digital Li…
- MOOCsâ€”Key Legal and Policy Issues for Colleges and Universities
July 25, 2013
The National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), ACE, and EDUCAUAUSE held a webinar on July 25th, 2013 on the key legal and policy issues regarding massive open online course…
- The Direction of Fair Use for Education: New Law and New Possibilities
July 12, 2012
Copyright and fair use has long been a critical element of innovative technologies. On campus, we steadily create new works and use existing ones—and nearly all of them are automatically pr…
- Copyright Challenges Facing Higher Education
October 18, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
There has never been a more challenging time for higher educational institutions in relation to copyright law and policy. Georgia State University's electronic course reserve policy has been c…
- What's at Stake in the HathiTrust Lawsuit?
October 28, 2011
On September 12, the Authors Guild, the Australian Society of Authors, the Union Des Écrivaines et des Écrivains Québécois (UNEQ), and eight individual authors filed suit against HathiTrust, …
- The Georgia State Copyright Case: Issues and Implications
September 8, 2011
The Georgia State University copyright infringement case has been closely watched in higher education over the last several years. This lawsuit, brought by several publishers against Georgia S…
- The Future of Fair Use
February 25, 2011
In this EDUCAUSE Live! we will discuss ethics and strategies for overcoming institutional roadblocks related to publishing and teaching with copyrighted media. As fair use protections and potenti…
- Checkpointing the ACTA Debate: Where Are We, and Where Do We Go from Here?
June 14, 2010
ACTA, the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, has been under negotiation since 2007 by representatives from the United States and several dozen other countries. Although nominally limited to cou…
- Fair Use or Fair Game? How One College "Solved" Fair Use
March 12, 2013
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference
Across the college, there were copyright problems and questions: Help desk staff were asked to upload entire works into the LMS. IT staff discovered full-length copyrighted movies on our video st…
- Copyright Balance and Fair Use in Networked Learning: Lessons from Creators' Codes of Best Practices
January 13, 2009
Copyright balancing has become a critical issue in the academy as digital practices increasingly have challenged creaky policies and practices. Scholars, academic administrators, librarians, and …