Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Hidden Costs and Subsidies Complicate TCO
September 15, 2014
By Jerrold M. Grochow and Kelli Trosvig Jerry Grochow is senior advisor to NET+, Internet2. Kelli Trosvig is vice president of Information Technology and CIO, Univers…
- What will be the next wave of classroom technology?
July 14, 2014
By Jonathan Blake Huer, Director of Emerging Technologies, Ball State University At orientation this past week, I was talking with an incoming freshman and her family about an app we’r…
June 2, 2014
If you’re a CIO or other senior level IT leader and you’re not actively looking to get out of the IT business, chances are you’re not doing your job right. Economic challenges are …
- NIST Releases Final Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity
February 19, 2014
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) released the initial version of its Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity on Wednesday, February 12. The …
- Turning the iPad into a Dynamic Hub in the Language Classroom
January 29, 2014
By Colin Keaveney Colin Keaveney is assistant professor of French (Teaching), University of Southern California. Recently, I decided to use iPad functionalities to enhance prepa…
- US Dept of Education and White House Host Education Datapalooza
January 23, 2014
Last August, President Obama outlined his policy agenda for higher education. The plan called for new ways to address rising college costs by making more data on the performance of higher educati…
- Privacy and Information Management Forum
May 20, 2013
The 2013 Privacy and Information Management Forum (PIM) was held on Friday, May 10, 2013, at the George Washington University Law School. The forum is jointly sponsored by the George Washingt…
- What We're Reading, April 2013
April 25, 2013
"The 3-D Printing Revolution: Dreams Made Real, One Layer at a Time," Rachel Ehrenberg, Science News 183 (5) (March 9, 2013) http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/348429/de…
- Google Accessibility Improvements
April 22, 2013
Google started informing its applications user groups today about the accessibility improvements it has made to a range of its applications and software platforms. (Please see below for the quote…
- CIOs on Consumerization
April 2, 2013
CIO’s Brad Wheeler and James Hilton reflect on what Consumerization means to the IT organization. ERO-CIOsOnConsumerization.mp3 …