Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Hidden Advantages of the Breakthrough Models Academy
May 13, 2015
Author: Dustin Hilt, Simmons College While it isn’t hard to find plenty of background ( here , here , and here , for example) on the Breakthrough Models Academy (BMA)…
- Translating CBE Programs into Sustainable Business Models
April 6, 2015
By Rick Staisloff The Higher Education Business Model and CBE As part of its ongoing mission to improve college readiness and completion through the application of technology,…
- Technology & Change: Perspectives on the Role of Faculty
January 27, 2015
I just got new glasses. It’s amazing what I can see now that I couldn’t see before. I begin here because I am going to advocate that all of higher ed get some new glasses. Because the way …
- Preparing Students for Competency-Based Hiring
December 18, 2014
Author: Stacey Clawson, Senior Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Transcripts have historically been the official record for what a student has learned in colle…
- Trending Now: Recent News in the Postsecondary World of Next Generation Learning
August 23, 2013
Summer – at least in theory – offers us opportunities to step back, think about the big picture, and consider some of those analyses that have been published in recent months. In that spirit …
- Enterprise Analytics: Taking Business Intelligence in New Directions
July 27, 2012
Business intelligence (BI) is not new to enterprise IT organizations, which have long provided departments with access to production data to help run their areas. Enterprise analytics, however, t…
- The analytics journey is not for the faint of heart
July 23, 2012
We learn much from spectacular success but we learn even more from failure. Such is the case with the use of analytics in both the public and private sectors. Education is no exception. Most edu…