Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Policy at EDUCAUSE 2013
October 30, 2013
Federal and campus-level policy issues impacting IT in higher education were hot topics at EDUCAUSE 2013. The Security Privacy, and Compliance and Data/Information Access and Manage…
- The Northwest Academic Computing Consortium Workshop
May 20, 2013
The Northwest Academic Computing Consortium (NWACC) comprises colleges, universities, and other non-profit organizations in the Pacific Northwest and nearby areas. Founded in 1987, NWACC'…
- Where Campus Policy Discussions are Taking Place
April 10, 2013
The story in the The Chronicle of Higher Education about Harvard University’s recent controversial e-mail searches going further than previously reported sparked a lot of discussion on …
- EDUCAUSE Supports Computer Science Education Week 2012
December 11, 2012
Computer Science Education Week ( CSEdWeek ) – December 9-15, 2012 – is a call to action to share information and offer activities that will advocate for computing and elevate computer scie…
- Higher Education & Entertainment Industry Discuss Implementation of HEOA Peer-to-Peer Provisions, April 2012
April 19, 2012
On April 11, 2012, members of the higher education community and representatives from the entertainment industry met in Washington DC for a one-day bilateral forum jointly sponsored by EDUCAUSE …
- NFB and Penn State resolve U.S. Dept. of Justice civil rights complaint
October 11, 2011
The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and Pennsylvania State University announced today the resolution of the NFB's civil rights complaint lodged with the U.S. Department of Justice ag…
- Princeton policy pushes academics to maintain copyrights in their scholarship
September 28, 2011
On September 19, Princeton University's Faculty Advisory Committee on Policy adopted an open access policy on scholarly research that prohibits faculty from giving all rights to their schol…
- Policy Focus at EDUCAUSE 2011
August 22, 2011
Do you work with policy on your campus, or deal with issues that are affected by policy? Do you want to know the latest federal and state legislation that could impact your institution? …
- EDUCAUSE and Security Task Force Comment on Proposed FERPA Rules
May 12, 2008
EDUCAUSE joined the American Council on Education (ACE) in comments to respond to a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking regarding the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) . The …