Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Day
Data Privacy Day (DPD), celebrated annually on January 28, is an international effort centered on "Respecting Privacy, Safeguarding Data, and Enabling Trust". Visit the Data Privacy Day website for guest blogs, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Sources of Information about Online Privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, a non-profit civil liberties organization working in the public interest to protect privacy, free expression, and access to public resources and information in new media.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a public interest research center in Washington, D.C., established in 1994 to focus public attention on emerging civil liberties issues and to protect privacy.
- Privacy Forum, a moderated digest for the discussion and analysis of issues relating to the general topic of privacy (both personal and collective) in the "information age" of the 1990's and beyond.
- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR), a public-interest alliance of computer scientists and others interested in the impact of computer technology on society.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Federal Privacy Law
- Information Sharing Legislation Moves in Both Chambers of Congress
June 5, 2015
Three bills have been introduced in Congress that are intended to improve information sharing on cybersecurity threats and analysis between the public and private sector. Senator Richard Burr (R-…
- President’s Budget Allocates $14 billion for Cybersecurity
March 6, 2015
On February 2, President Obama released his $4 trillion proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2016 in which he called for a 10 percent increase in cybersecurity spending to better protect federal a…
- President Issues EO Promoting Cyber Threat Information Sharing, Congress Considering Legislation
March 6, 2015
Information sharing on cyber threats between the public and private sector is a major issue for both Congress and the Obama Administration this year. Legislation has already been introduced i…
- Senate Holds Hearing on NIST Cybersecurity Framework
February 12, 2015
On February 4, the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee held a hearing , entitled “Building a More Secure Cyber Future: Examining Private Sector Experience wit…
- Congress Passes Cybersecurity Bills in Lame Duck Session
December 15, 2014
Congress has passed four cybersecurity bills in the final days of the 113th Congress. The bills largely codify existing federal agency activity, but they are seen as major steps for cybersecurity…
- EDUCAUSE Submits Letter to NIST on the Agency’s Cybersecurity Framework
October 23, 2014
On October 10, EDUCAUSE submitted a letter to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in response to the agency’s Request for Information (RFI) on the implementation of its cy…
- Senate Bill Aims to Strengthen National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center
July 25, 2014
On June 24, Chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, Senator Thomas Carper (D-DE), introduced S. 2519 , the National Cybersecurity and Communications Integr…
- EDUCAUSE Policy in 2014
April 29, 2014
Last October, EDUCAUSE posted an update on the evolution of our policy work. Now that we are well into 2014, we wanted to provide members and other stakeholders with information on our progre…
- Quick Takes - Cybersecurity Updates
March 24, 2014
The Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) Integrated Task Force has been disbanded after completing the National Infrastructure Protection Plan (NIPP). Remaining functions of t…
- NIST Releases Final Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity
February 19, 2014
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) released the initial version of its Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity on Wednesday, February 12. The …